Extracting Video/Audio clips in Kdenlive

I know Kdenlive is not discussed much in these forums, but I’ll give this a shot.

I edited a video and approached an audio production company about cleaning up the audio tracks. He asked me this question: “can you export your separate tracks so that they’re still picture-locked / time-synced?”

I’m not aware of a way to do this, nor am I aware of a way to extract individual clips from the project timeline. Can Kdenlive do things like this?

I’d use ffmpeg to do such a thing: ffmpeg -i input-video.avi -vn -acodec copy output-audio.aac

Of course aac might not be the nest choice, but ffmpeg supports a ton of stuff.

I figured this out, so I will answer my own question in case it comes up in somebody’s future search.

Kdenlive has the ability to affect entire tracks on its timeline with the same effect.

In my case, one audio track was voiceover narration recorded in a home studio, and the other audio was from the video that was captured in the wild. My process went like this:

1. Make sure all narration is on the same audio track and all video sound on a separate one
  2. Drag the “Mute” effect onto each audio track
  3. Disable “mute” effect on narration track
  4. Render entire project using “audio only” settings
  5. Re-enable “mute” on narration and mute the other track this time
  6. Render entire project to audio again

This results in 2 audio files that are both exactly the same duration as the project. You can then just stack them in the timeline and they will line up perfectly with the other tracks.

The reason to do this is so the audio mixing people can easily work on the separate tracks, and when they get the files back to me, I can easily plug them back into my project.