Extreme Highlight recovery in darktable

This is a very nice image to experiment with colour grading and highlights handling, thanks!

PK1_3540.DNG.xmp (51.2 KB)

5 Likes

Just had to test myself with this one :innocent:

PK1_3540.arp (12,5 Ko)

7 Likes

Pushing “white point” to the right in “raw black/white point” module will help to reduce overexposed area.

That basically voids highlights reconstruction by voiding its threshold. Don’t do that.

1 Like

Why would I not to if the result is fine for me? There is a usable bit of information in this particular image.

Simply disable HL reconstruction then. Messing with white threshold has repercussions in other places of the pipe, you should never mess up with it.

3 Likes

Salut.
Avec Art, Il ne faut pas faire de correction d’objectif, sinon ça merde à gauche au dessus des arbres.

Bonjour.
Mon traitement avec Art.

PK1_3540.DNG.arp (21.8 KB)

1 Like

This is my attempt with darktable 3.8.1.
I used mainly multiply on local contrast, reconstruct color in highlight reconstruction and some tweaks in filmic rgb.

PK1_3540.DNG.xmp (15.3 KB)

8 Likes

Just to say that with the updated workflow in Darktable 4.2, results are much better out of the box.
All I’ve done to this image is asjust the exposure, use “shadows and highlights”, and apply the default “denoise (profiled)”.
Looks pretty good to me.

3 Likes

Ye, pretty straightforward now to get good results.

Yep, quick and easy. As usual, I don’t “see” the scene as bright as others.

PK1_3540.DNG.xmp (6.8 KB)

Nice sky you just have some halo’s from the S and HL module likely

Shadow and highlights creates way too much halos with images where the light source if in front of the camera. This goes for HDR images too. For those images I usually turn it off and use Tone Equalizer and Zone system. Masking sometimes helps.

I was going to ask if you had upgraded but you mention the zone system so I think you are still using the old tried and true version :wink:

I personally haven’t tried the new versions and I’m on 3.0.1 Linux Mint, from reading peoples questions/inquiries, the new versions seem to be way more complicated than what I want to do with photo editing.

Wow, 3.0 is several years behind. Power of FOSS, I guess.

LOL I used PS7 from 2001 up to about 2012 as no matter how many times I tired GIMP I just couldn’t get use to it LOL. My problem with GIMP was I could not get used to the tool icons and what tool they represented. Discovered Krita and after two days all was good :slight_smile:

I just wanted to add that that module is not new… tone equalizer is preferred, technically speaking. I think the big difference in dt 4.2.1 is the new highlight reconstruction algos?

1 Like

My version… :left_right_arrow:

PK1_3540.DNG.xmp (17.9 KB)

7 Likes