Fall color on the bayou

Rt. 5.9

IMG_0325.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

2 Likes

Nice lake! RT 5.9

IMG_0325_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (17.1 KB)

4 Likes

Every time I look at this image and see the clouds, my mind wants to turn them into a distant mountain range. It would be a huge improvement if that was only true… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The mountains are good, but in Colorado a bit “Disney-field”. You actually need a reservation to get in some places…

From my JPEG days, grab shot while riding the Durango& Silverton train, Animas River in the San Juan Mountains:

Edit: commented out the image, a big distraction from Len’s beautiful capture and composition.

4 Likes

My version using darktable 4.5.0~git1249.39c3ce0e-10915.1

IMG_0325.CR3.xmp (15.1 KB)

Greetings from Havana, Cuba.

8 Likes

That’s very close to the way the sky looked… after I arrived! LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo, I used the tone equalizer among other tools to bring out the tones of the sky and a parametric mask to lower the tones, colors and reflections of the water.

I imagined what it would be like to be in front of this beautiful landscape.

2 Likes

One technique I like (the looks of) for reflections on water is to lower shadows without much, if any, change to mid tones and highlights. It deepens contrast and brings out detail in the reflections. The reflections appear to “hang” in darker water. But of course that’s all personal taste.

1 Like

Last March of this year I went to visit my family in another province and I had the opportunity to take some pictures in the area of the river that runs through the town, it is not as colorful a place as this one you show, but the scenery is also nice.

3 Likes

IMG_0325.CR3.xmp (14.7 KB)

You could edit it endlessly!

4 Likes

Could’t resist for a second try. I know, @Tim has realistic coulours, but especially for fall i like it more saturated and warm.

IMG_0325_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (18.0 KB)

6 Likes

Hard to say for sure, but @hatsnp seems to have hit about as close as anyone to how the foliage looked that day (although @Tim and many others are very close). Having not been there, quite impressive. :slight_smile: Like you I opted to bring them out a tad more.

4 Likes

I love the image. It blows me away. It looks like a classic landscape painting. That single bird is so critical to the success of the composition. It reminds me of a Constable landscape.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! That’s high praise…

Truly one of my favourite landscapes posted here. It deserves a large print and framing. It is a timeless picture.

1 Like

My favorite part is the one little cypress tree on the left.

Well, not too big. It’s only a 24mp APS-C shot! LOL :slight_smile:

A re-edit going for the bold colors everyone loves. :wink:

IMG_0325_01.CR3.xmp (10.2 KB)

8 Likes

Your colors are pretty close to reality.

1 Like

The editing in the OP is so good. It is too hard or impossible to improve upon so I just tried to get a nice edit in my hands using darktable. I usually use sigmoid, but I felt this image would be suitable for filmic V5 with preserve chrominance set to none. This version of filmic seems to bring out the rich colors better.

IMG_0325.CR3.xmp (19.2 KB)

5 Likes