Faux balconies in B&W

25 Likes

Really great !

Yes this is quite lovely!

Iā€™m somewhat surprised at the amount of people that like this one, did not expect that. Iā€™ve been sitting on this edit for the past 10 or so daysā€¦ Seems that the ones Iā€™m unsure/apprehensive about are the ones that are liked best. Interesting.

A lot of work/time went into this one and Iā€™m rather glad to see it appreciated this way. Thanks!

1 Like

reminding me of rodshenko, just a bit of grain?

Not sure why youā€™re surprised. This is great image.

@hannoschwalm

Although I really like the look of the higher ISO B&W films, think (pushed) Ilford Delta 3200 / Kodak TMAX 3200, this one was edited with ā€˜as clean as possibleā€™ in mind. Iā€™ll make a copy and experiment with adding some grain, see if I like it or not.

Havenā€™t had that much success doing this with digital images in the past, though. I think it looks kinda fake. Thereā€™s a big difference between grain created by real crystals and ā€œgrainā€ in digital, which is basically fancy noise.

BTW: Had to look up Alexander Rodchenko. I think I like his paintings and posters more then his photos, but heā€™s another one of those outstanding Russian artist. Thanks for mentioning him.

@elstoc

Insecure + trying something new + lacking consistency = surprised at times :grin:

Somewhere, I donā€™t remember, maybe @patdavid does, there is an actual high resolution scan of some film grain. Take it and overlay it in gimp, and then you have real film grain :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That will probably work. Hope that Pat remembers!

It is the perfect image to appeal to these forums. High contrast yet not unnatural, sharp detail, symmetrical framing, interesting light patterns. It is real but looks abstract, and the abstract is in vogue.

Being more interested in feeling than abstraction, and more in love with nature than urban, it is not as much to my taste as your others, but I appreciate youā€™ve captured a particular style very well.

Old TMax400 scan:
(Make sure to grab the .png file)
Just add as a layer over your image in ā€œOverlayā€ mode:

2 Likes

@patdavid: Thanks, much appreciated!

1 Like

Hello Pat, Tmax 400 was a b&w film, so why is your grain shot/layer in color?

I spent quite some time of my life in my darkroom and my opinion is that analogue grain simply can not be reproduced by digital techniques. Analogue grain is analogue grain and digital grain is digital noise. Imo.

Another question is why would one simulate another medium? Digital is digital with all its advantages and analogue is analogue with all its disavantages - but with its own charmes.

Following are two screenshots of the same 4x6.5 negative (quite sure it was an Agfa APX 100) digitized to ~7200x5400 ppi. As you can see, the grain is really very different.

Selectie_007

Selectie_006

And the whole shot:

1 Like