Feature Request – Random Parameter Generator

Ok, was just a random idea.

For the icon, there is also the “shuffle” crossed arrows like in any music player. But it might be too similar to the “reload” icon?

Maybe a simple question mark?
There will be a hint anyway.
Gmic new icon

If not, I vote for option #2.

“Shuffle” seems to be synonymous with “randomize” in programming.

1 Like

I actually don’t like the “Shuffle” option.
Shuffle is often used to randomly sort a list of something (e.g. tunes in a playlist), and in G’MIC-Qt this could be misinterpreted, as the plug-in actually has:

• A list of filters.
  • For each filter, a list of parameters.

To me, a “Shuffle” button would mean something if we allow to randomly sort the list of parameters for a filter (yes of course, this is a bad idea :slight_smile: ).

I’ve found a good-looking 32x32 dice icon, maybe it’s finally a better solution.

I see what you mean. Makes sense to me.
Thanks for considering my request!

Turns out we already can randomize parameters in the “Spline Spirograph” filter :game_die: :smiling_face:

I think we’ve finally found our “Randomize” icon. Thanks for all your suggestions!

5 Likes

Great!

Also, there are 5 questions I had that aren’t answered.

Will this interfere with the usage of _ prepend in GUI typedef?

No, both are possible : val = _~float(0,0,100).
But having both seems useless, as if you don’t want the preview to be updated when this specific parameter changes, there very few chances you want it to be randomized.

What happens with $_persistent upon clicking?

This is unrelated. $_persistent keeps its value (not reset) when filter parameters are randomized.

Is there a new predefined parameter that tells me the randomize button had been clicked?

No.

What happens with button() which should be 1 upon click?

When randomized, a button() parameter gets value 0 or 1. This being said, it’s probably a very unusual idea to allow a button() parameter to be randomized.

Dynamic GUI things still work as expected?

This is also unrelated. Parameter randomization and dynamic GUI are two distinct things, that are not incompatible.

Hmm, it would be good to allow randomize button to become the opposite rather than random. That’s about the only suggested change I have. Seem like I can work with it regardless

Why not? Could be useful to change a few things if the var is set.

Other queston :

Are you going to add the ~to all existing filters? If so, do you need help with this (and testing filters) , or will you automate it?

That’s actually true. I’ll ask if this is possible to have a variable like $_is_randomized.

I’ve started to do it manually. It appears there are actually many filters where a parameter randomization is not that pertinent. So trying to convert all filters automatically is probably not a good idea.

2 Likes

Only for testing purposes, in case you don’t really see what param(s) could potentially slow the filter down. There are so many, i would not remember much of them if i were in your shoes.

BTW, will you also add a little note or something to let the user know which filter accepts randomization or not? Could be useful to let users know when the die button is useful or not, so they don’t report it as a bug.

It’s on coders to make sure that their codes are up to date, but since we don’t have that much, there is probably going to be efforts in checking each filters.

On my end, all I’m doing is improving my own filters and updating them so that they fit modern stamdards.

When will 3.3.6 be released?

Sure, i wasn’t asking about community filters, but all the others. I’ll just check my own when 3.3.6pre will have the randomizer.

I wish i could do that but I don’t know what the standards are hahaha.

Hopefully next week.

1 Like

There isn’t. But, my standards is this:

1. Is the filter most flexible as it can be with the available options we have now?
  2. If no, improve and make more options. If yes, you passed.

That means dynamic GUI, all possibilities there is, etc.

How many times will I read the list of commands page until I know them all? Heh.

It’s not just that. I’m thinking of how command flows, the list of possibilities that must be within a filter, GUI flow, etc.

Yes, I’m just simplifying my case. If I follow my wishes to the end, I’ll always end up with an endless list of params.
But I can struggle for 10 hours for just one line lol.