Fedora 40 KDE (Plasma spin) and getting X11 back…

Fedora 40 is soon here and will be Wayland only.

Has anybody tried the Plasma 40 beta and added X11 back in with plasma-workspace-x11? If so, will color management work with darktable?

Plasma-workspace-x11 is a component of the KDE system, build on top of X11. The latter is quite a large chunk of software. If Fedora completely dumped X11, it may no be present in the repositories…

This is not accurate. F40 gnome supports X11. F40 KDE spin is Wayland only.

I have a VM with F40 KDE and was not able to be sure everything works. That was a few weeks ago. I need to find time to try again.

Sorry for the confusion. As the title of the thread hints, I’m asking about the Plasma spin specifically.

Please revisit this thread if you find the time to try it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

You might get better traction asking at the Fedora forum. Color management would also be an issue with DigiKam.

Went to the Fedora Project Matrix server the other day. Getting it back via plasma-workspace-x11 will (obviously) be totally unsupported, but I see now that someone replied that it worked for them.

Their position seemed to be that Wayland color management in Plasma will be on par with X11 once Plasma 6.1 arrives.

I wrote that I was under the impression that darktable devs was waiting for the protocol to be finalized (I actually don’t have much of a clue). Some dev (?) replied that “unfortunately it needs to go the other way around, darktable needs to implement it and give an ACK for it”.

As an end user I try to interpret this from both sides. Perhaps I’ll give plasma-workspace-x11 a try. But installing Tumbleweed, which (so far) has proper X11 support, will probably be a more sustainable solution.

you saw the blog post from the KDE devs that the plasma-x11 is on the way out and will be even removed upstream at some point?

Did not :open_mouth:

Is there any chance darktable will be properly color managed under Wayland before that day comes?

I think you can always put the screen profile into .config/darktable/color/out/. Then dt does color management independently of any DE. Of course the condition is that you only profiled the screen.

Wayland needs proper color management first. They are making progress lately.

FWIW, color management seems to be working fine with Wayland already, in KDE v6 that came out in February. I ditched X11.

I’m using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

I’m not sure how. KDE still says it doesn’t work.

https://userbase.kde.org/Kde_wayland_for_artists#What_is_yet_to_be_implemented

The applications (e.g. rawtherapee) don’t know that kwin is doing color management and consequently don’t tell kwin in which color space the image ist, so kwin assumes everything is in srgb.

Okay that explains a few things. Although I think a few things on that page have been taken care of in recent months. You can install ICC profiles, colord works, KDE apps are color-managed, GIMP seems to be color-managed. Although the function to get the monitor display space in PIL doesn’t work so I had to hard-code in my monitor profile for my personal raw processor. Now I know why.

we have a very long thread on the subject and dont need another one Wayland color management

1 Like

Feel free to merge.

There is actual no need to run Wayland. There is a package plasma-workspace-x11.x86_64 (at least in rawhide) in the fedora repo. After installation you are able to start a X11 Plasma/KDE session again.

Thanks! Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post in this thread. Do you have actual experience of this working without hitches? It is unsupported.

Unless you’re running Universal Blue with kinoite-main. If plasma-workspace-x11 works I would consider attempting to make a custom image.

To any innocent bystanders, I was mistaken when I said that I’d gotten color management to work on wayland. Apparently I’ve been in X11 this whole time, and only worked in Wayland once after an update. I thought the switch held, but it didn’t. Disregard.

3 Likes

No problems so far. With X11 darktable doesn’t flicker and what’s the most important during the day: Zoom works like a charm including screen sharing.