Feedback wanted about Rapid Photo Downloader

Thanks for a wonderful tool. I’ve just started to use it regularly.
There seems to be an operational anomaly on startup.
When I start the program without a camera attached to the usb bus it works. When I then attach the camera it see the camera.
but
if the camera is attached before startup it fails to startup. I have filed a bug report in the launchpad system with log file and error. Bug #1695012 “initial startup fails when camera is attached” : Bugs : Rapid Photo Downloader

It’s interesting to see that a 15 year old camera is still going strong :smiley:

I need a little more info to ensure my fix is going to work – you can add it to the bug report.

Thanks for your work, yea the old camera is working fine but i have my eye on a used sony A6??? as the years go by the old D100 is getting heavier and heavier and my travel bags are getting smaller and smaller.

Ive updated the bug report.

@alpinekid I updated the bug report with a request for some more information. Are you getting email notifications about bug from launchpad? I ask because it seems suddenly I’m not, which is quite odd.

yea, I havent seen anything either. what do you need?
Al

I’ve been using this since you announced the big update and so far it’s everything I’ve been hoping!
Normally, I pop my SD in to my laptop and Rapid Photo Downloader would start automatically. Recently, and I can’t remember when, that hasn’t been happening. I went into “default application” and “removable media” and Rapid Photo Downloader no longer shows up as an option.

I’m on Ubuntu 17.04.

FWIW, I like it not starting automatically. But that’s just me.

I think there was an option to have it auto start when a card/device was connected. Not sure, though.

It’s a strange problem. I don’t know why it stopped working. I can replicate it on a 17.04 VM, but not on my primary desktop which is running 17.10. I’ve opened bug this bug report: Bug #1713898 “program no longer appears as a removable media def...” : Bugs : Rapid Photo Downloader

If someone would like to look into it that would be helpful. It doesn’t require any programming expertise – it’s just a system integration item that is handled by by .desktop files.

Hi!

Obviously, this is late feedback, but since the conversation is still opened here I figured I would add my grain of salt. :slight_smile:

I recently switched from my home-grown import script (based on exiftool and fim) to rapid-photo-downloader and I am quite happy with the results. I tried the old version that was in debian stable (0.4) and this was already an improvement over my haphazard process. The newer version (0.9.7) is of course a lot better, although there are still some rough edges for me.

• 0.4 allowed me to “move” the photos out of the memory card instead of copying them. i’d like to have that feature back, but i understand it’s tricky business. full discussion in:
  • my home-grown script would automatically add the photos into git-annex, which allows me to manage archival and backup of the photos. i was hoping i could write a simple plugin to do that, but there is no plugin interface and adding one seems like a really daunting prospect, as discussed here:
  • i am having trouble automatically mounting memory cards when i plug them in. for RPD to recognize the card, I first need to start a file manager (i use Thunar for that) to mount the card. i would have hoped that RPD does that on its own, and i’m not sure why that’s not working. it could be because I use a weird desktop environment (xmonad), i’d need to test this in GNOME to see if it works there.

Otherwise I wanted to make sure you got a positive feedback here. It can be demanding to run a free software project – i know, i run several :wink: – so I wanted to say: thank you, and good job!

You should try systemd-automount to mount your drives/SD cards. I’m using i3wm and this is working well.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have an example of such a configuration? I would be worried it would be hardcoded to a single SD card UUID…

I’ve only recently begun trying systemd-automount, and right now I have it working with the UUID, you are correct. This is OK for my large, external disks, as there are only a few of them. For my SD cards, which I format frequently, I am going to try /dev/disk/by-label/diskname but I haven’t done that yet.

It’d look like this in your fstab:

/dev/disk/by-label/diskname /mnt/hitachi-one auto noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 2

You can add whatever other mount options you need to that line. I find that hand because git-annex expects disks to be in a certain place.

1 Like

Hi-

I’m probably pushing the envelope a bit, but I’m running RPD on Linux Mint hosted as a guest on a MacBook Pro (catatlina)

I did a test yesterday doing a partial selection of images on an SD card to download to a shared folder on the mac. All seemed good. Today I tried to download all the photos on the same card to the shared folder. Seemed to create the folder structure ok, but hung at 1% after only six files transferred. Not sure if anything can be done, but thought I’d reach out. I was hoping to use the program in a full Linux computer, but am traveling for the next couple months and have to go this route. Any advise would be appreciated. Looks like a good solution for moving files into the Mac for further processing in Darktable.
Thanks

Not sure if you are open to feature requests, but after using the software for a year, there is one feature I would find helpful. Would it be possible to be able to add a “favorites list” for download location? I constantly use a couple different directories for my targets, and would like an easier way to choose which one rather than navigating through my directory tree each time. Just a thought. Thanks

Only one wish:
A windows version :grinning:

I would like this feature too. It would be something I’d definitely use myself. The problem is finding the time to implement it on top of all other aspects of maintaining the program. For now a higher priority item for me is to revamp the program’s website, which is more than 10 years old in design!

Websites can certainly suck up your time. You may need some Elves. Good luck, have a happy holiday!

A Mac version would be great too, in addition to a Windows version. If there was enough interest I could hypothetically be funded to develop for both platforms via Patreon fundraiser or something similar. But I’m unsure how much demand there is for the program on those platforms.

On Windows there is Downloader Pro, but I have no idea if the developer actually sells many copies of that these days, or whether he puts much time into developing it anymore. Its GUI looks really old fashioned these days. Maybe photographers have moved on to the importers built into Lightroom or other similar programs? Really, I don’t know.

On Mac, I have no idea what people use apart from Lightroom etc. Is there a builtin importer on the Mac?

Of course Photo Mechanic has a basic importer, which I’m sure plenty of pro photographers use.

I did not know about downloader pro. 45$ is too much for my needs. I’ma a hobby photographer and need to copy a folder of raws maybe twice a week. I sometimes use manjira and then I use rapid downloader which is nicer than just copy and paste.
I would support a Windows version btw :+1: