Film Preset - Agfa Vista 400++

Inspired by a preset emulating the Agfa Vista 400, I tried my hand at emulating it in RawTherapee.

Not having Lightroom installed myself, I kindly asked a friend who owned it and had the preset to screenshot some of the settings for me in order to have a guideline to go by. This will by no means be super accurate, but I think it’s been a fun ride so far :slight_smile: Enjoy!

Issues:

• Lightroom’s curves behave differently, especially the overall lightness curve
  • the base contrast in Lightroom for this file is way different
  • In RawTherapee when I tried to tweak a few things in the CIELAB section, I got stuck at the part where it defines the brightness of the environment …basically no way to make the image look the way I saw it with CIELAB disabled …which I think was doable a few versions ago

RawTherapee version info:
Version: 5.5
Branch: releases
Commit: d9ac235
Commit date:
Compiler: cc 7.3.1
Processor: x86_64
System: Linux
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.22.2
Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
Build type: release
Build flags: -std=c++11 -Werror=unused-label -Wall -Wuninitialized -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-result -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O2 -DNDEBUG -ftree-vectorize
Link flags:
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON

Overall:

Files:
The RAW file | Lightroom version | RawTherapee version - PP3 | RawTherapee Alt version - PP3

Thanks in advance for the constructive criticism :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@patdavid @afre @heckflosse

Same preset:

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have experience matching colours, at least in this context. Auto-matched tone curve from RT is robust and seems suitable for this kind of thing: does it only draw info from the embedded preview images, or can it draw from another image file?

These two are related. Default LR isn’t neutral in the way RT has a neutral profile, so the starting points are different. What is more confusing is that LR’s tools work on top of the non-neutral starting point. If you follow that logic, it is easy to see how different the results will be even if the tools are exactly the same between LR and RT, which isn’t the case either.

What to do

Start here: these two parameters affect everything else. Try to find a combo that is closes to RT.

Slight variations of the same preset:

1 Like

Note that changing the Process and / or Profile might force you to use legacy modules and algorithms, barring you from newer tech, which may be undesirable if you have already established a workflow.