Film strip filter?

Good morning g’mic. Just wanted to ask if there is a “film strip” filter that takes number of images and puts a film strip (such as Free Vector | Various filmstrip backgrounds) around them. Thanks for any pointer, which would be well appreciated.

I don’t think so, but it’s a good idea :slight_smile: (and definitely doable with some G’MIC scripting).

Actually, you are right (as expected). Probably the easiest would be to produce a long film strip template where the middle part is black and you then only have to scale the images for a given hight and place them. At the end, you “cut off” any unused part from the film strip template.

I’d see it more like a repeated ( for each picture in the list) pattern where you only change the pictures and the text, then warp it?

There is actually a filter that does exactly that in the G’MIC-Qt plug-in : You provide a template with colored areas, and the filter resizes/shifts input layers to make them fit.
This filter is called Arrays & Tiles / Drawn Montage, and you can see a video tutorial here:

That means that what is missing is actually just the film strip template with the coloread areas…

2 Likes

Thanks, @David_Tschumperle. Yes, that would certainly work but it would be a great deal of manual effort. Perhaps I will just start looking at the gmic scripting documentation. As long as I find how to deal with input parameters and do iterations, I will probably work it out. I am quite excited about g’mic - the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Believe it or not, it’s the same for me ! :grin:

1 Like

I’m not sure, if you are able to create a film strip with colored areas, the efforts are done.
Because then, we can use the command-line associated to the ‘Drawn Montage’ filter to generate as many images as we want, with the same template.

You mean something like this for the top

And this for the bottom?

I could of course make it more colourful and have not just the number 1 in the strip.

I would say that the film strips at top and bottom would have to be about 6-10% of the height of an image. And one would have to scale all images to have the same height.

I am nowhere with my gmic scripting skills yet. What I would do:

• Resize all input images to X px and apply extend_y 50,0 to every image
  • append x all images
  • determine the width of the overall image (of all images appended)
  • extend_x the top and bottom strips each using the replicate flag
  • append y the bottom and top to the overall image.

That should do.

A quick test, for fun.
This is the template I’ve made:

Now, with this (quite-complicated) command line:

gmic movietape_template.png img/portrait* fx_drawn_montage 4,255,0,255,0,50,50,0,"4","255:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:255:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:255:0:50:50:0","255:255:0:0:50:50:0","255:0:255:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0","0:0:0:0:50:50:0"

I got this result, automatically:

The command line seems a bit complicated, but I’ve just copy/pasted it from the G’MIC-Qt plug-in, with all settings put in the filter “Drawn Montage”.

1 Like

That works… if all images are the same size or at least the same aspect ratio. Admittedly, I wanted to chat a bit and put any image in…

The Drawn Montage filter resizes / centers images the best it can, whatever the image dimensions are.
That’s exactly what it is designed for :slight_smile:

Here, the same command line, with completely different images:

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the insight and it indeed looks good.

That’s two simple steps for GIMP filters: :wink:

FS-1

FS-2

2 Likes

Indeed, @MrQ, that looks great.

Hello. Getting there with “gmic only”… @David_Tschumperle, @prawnsushi and @grosgood, thanks for your support in the other thread.

What I miss in essence is the black bar between the images and I am aware the “white dots” are not yet aligned.

4 Likes

You could use expand_x to create the black bars.

I am doing that already for the black bars between two stripes but miserably fail withe black bars between two individual images. Want to figure it out myself… or at least try some more. It is good to learn gmic…

1 Like

Congrats @Helmut_Kaufmann , It’s not so easy to get started with G’MIC, because the logic is specific and definitely not the same as in other general-purpose languages.
Your result already looks good! :+1:

1 Like

Sure, I’m just giving clues. But there are probably 4758483 ways to do it?