filmic, a personal view

Using your exact settings and with no other module in use (except white-balance), my curve is slightly different to the above and the results far ‘softer’. What other adjustments did you make?

Exposition: black level = 0.0050
Local contrast : default params + highlights = 152 %
Dehaze : strength = 0.10, distance = 0.250

The curve shouldn’t be different though.

Not a big difference but significant I think
shaper

set your intent to “contrasted” (== cubic spline interpolation). That looks like the “faded” intent (== Catmull-Rom centripetal spline interpolation).

1 Like

OK … I see that you used ‘contrasted’ … I had faded
My error

1 Like

Thanks @anon41087856. Makes sense !

My try to get close to @anon41087856’s result, using just 2 modules in Rawtherapee (auto-matched curve, and color toning w/ color regions)

Edit: I also turned on local contrast and dehaze

1 Like

See the reddish oversaturation near blacks ? I wonder if the tree in the foreground is in-gamut.

1 Like

Yes I see… It’s a bit better here I think:

Now, can you match that ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No idea… I may try tomorrow… With just a laptop and a trackpad, it takes too much effort to try now.
I confess that your results are sweet!

2 Likes

Nice one!
I guess your edit is the result of filmic + something more, or is it just the filmic module? If not, for the sake of comparison, could you post the result of filmic alone?

Thanks!

I thin dehaze and local contrast are important to add some “clarity” to that foggy scene. I also used those in my Rawtherapee rendering (I forgot about it, I edited my first post).

It would be that, with exposure and filmic alone:

1 Like

@sguyader , please could you post your PP3, I’d like to see what you did.

Here you go:
20181109_Cahuzeres_221.NEF.pp3 (12.7 KB)

1 Like

Certainly it is a different view … but it would be an end direction that I would pursue or find interesting. But that is why creativity is such a personal thing and photography is simply one tool in our arsenal.

1 Like

As close as I could get with RawTherapee.

Phyweyland-Filmic-20181109_Cahuzeres_221.NEF.pp3 (10.8 KB)

1 Like

Not sure if this rendering adds to the late comparison on filmic tools, but here goes a PhotoFlow alternative version.
First I got rid of some of the “pissy” yellow (which I prefer to think of as Titan yellow) with White Balance.
Then applied dynamic range compression and new filmic.
At last, three tone curves to get the punch (I think I could do it with only one, but I got lazy…)

20181109_Cahuzeres_221.pfi (49.4 KB)

8 Likes

I would say … it is in fact a little better … well done

1 Like