filmic rgb - win10 - DT 3.4.1 - bug?

The Windows specific crash with color picker has been reproduced and the issue found, thanks to Murtuza Chhil for the quick testing.

3 Likes

A windows only 3.4.1.1 relaae has been made, grab it on github.

4 Likes

I am glad it got fixed to fast.

Direct 3.4.1.1 download

2 Likes

There is a list of bug fixes. How do I find more detail about what has been fixed? In particular, I am interested in finding out more detail about what this means:

Fix Lr metadata import, this is done only if no other XMP present.

Thank you.

You may want to browse the commits:

Find the commit for this and if there is an issue linked looked at the discussion on this issue.

Thank you. I found it.

I think it would help if they would release Beta EXE versions for people to play with and report back. I believe the ‘build yourself’ is beyond many users capability, and some are too lazy (me).

2 Likes

Just releasing beta versions isn’t enough. You’d also need people capable of (and willing!) generating backtraces (for crashes) or using a debugger (for non-crashing bugs), if only to exclude bugs in libraries (including windows libraries).

A simple bug report is better than no report at all, or? At least somebody with the knowledge knows where to search.

The process to setup a build environment for windows ist well described and can be done by everyone who’s interested in improving the software.
It’s quite easy, if you’re too lazy to be active, you must be very patient in waiting for somebody doing things for you :wink:

And yet it didn’t happen. RawTherapee has easy to use DEVs, fully thumbdrive useable too.
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/releases/tag/nightly

Anyway, I keep the old dt version running anyway, so a bug ridden version isn’t a big issue for me.

1 Like

It doesn’t help to point to rawtherapee - their devs won’t provide a darktable nightly build for you :wink:
So if it’s that import to you, why don’t you provide a windows build? You’re free to do so … or just fix the ci environment for windows. Why should a dev using linux do this for you?

In this case it’s more complex that being able to build DT in Windows.
In fact, within my limited spare time, I collaborate with the dev team to test, bugfix and small developments. I have a full IDE setup for DT in both Windows and Linux. Still, I didn’t detect the critical bug, because it didn’t affect the master development version, but only the 3.4.1 and I simply didn’t think to perform regression tests there.
I guess releasing beta versions in .exe or .msi form could help to have a larger testing user base.

3 Likes

of course it could, but someone must do this instead of just asking for it - a build isn’t done by itself :wink:
Unfortunately, there are too few Windows users who want to actively participate instead of just making suggestions.

2 Likes

Helping @johnny-bit nail down the automated builds would go a long way.

Encouraging windows users to provide back traces and learn to use gdb would be excellent.

3 Likes

I offer to help in testing windows beta versions!

But I failed several times to build windows versions myself.

Just a note, for RawTherapee I don’t d/l the EXE files, I get the ZIP, which are actually zipped folders and don’t interfere with my installed version.

For the same reason I would prefer a darktable folder rather than an EXE file. With a folder you can run as many darktables parallel as you like - one just needs a BAT file that specifies a separate database location. I typically have my database inside the folder. So with a new darktable I just place the old database in the new darktable installation after running it once to create my install folders. Work perfectly.

This is probably a lower entry requirement than a ‘build’. It would just take one Windows user that in stalled darktable to ZIP the folder and donate it.