filmic rgb - win10 - DT 3.4.1 - bug?

Hi,
i’ve just installed DT 3.4.1 and now if i click any color pickers ( white relative exposure, black relative exposure or auto tune levels) DT crashes.
I’m the only one experiencing this?

Ale

1 Like

different user here, but same issue.

Just upgraded to 3.4.1 windows, and have same auto-picker problem.
Color Calib, Filmic, etc., the whole program crashes out to desktop.

Reverting back to 3.4.0 works.

1 Like

Please report on github and include the crash logs.

I have seen a couple of more users on FB make the same report. I don’t use the release version so I can’t confirm but it seems like several reports…

@Pascal_Obry
@anon41087856

There is nothing I can do about a bug I don’t reproduce on an OS I don’t use without any sort of log or backtrace and no information about GPU and CPU.

@Ale_S

As @anon41087856 notes he would need more information. On windows there should be a backtrace file in users\username\appdata\local\temp darktable_bt_2HNCY0.txt (11.2 KB)

As an example this is is a recent one I had from intermittent crashes happening on my system with a build from yesterday.

If you pass this along it will be helpful…

I tried to run darktable with the -d all option and this is the log that i get darktable-log.txt (1.0 MB)

I can’t find any backtrace file… i have searched in the suggested folder and in other folders but I cannot find it … if you give me some indication I can search again.

Some useful info:
Darktable 3.4.1
OpenCL: enabled
Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q

Try here
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt

You are not alone. Same for the picker in color calibration.

I keep several installations of darktable on my external drive, 3.4.0 does certainly not have this issue.

1 Like

Mine was here: (Windows 10)
C:\Users\USER-ID\AppData\Local\Temp\darktable_bt*******.txt

I repeated several times all the following steps this morning:

• run darktable -d all
  • open a photo in darkroom
  • click on the colorpicker in filmic rgb

@anon41087856 the dialog indicating the path of the backtrace file appeared only once ( i don’t know why it appeared only once)… this is the darktable_bt_file darktable_bt_QTJ0X0.txt (12.5 KB)

hope this will help.
Ale

I’m more one running Darktable 3.4.1 in Windows 10 and having this auto-picker problem.

The backtrace shows an error with a memory buffer freeing. Without further information, that leaves us with only 3467 possible causes. \o/

Is anybody able to launch darktable Windows within gdb ?

On a more global note, it’s useless to post bugs here. Most devs don’t hangout here, it’s not adapted to issues tracking, and tagging me everywhere filmic is mentionned is only adding more spam in my inbox (especially since filmic has nothing to do with it).

Please use Github.

1 Like

especially since filmic has nothing to do with it

It’s seems to be the picker function. It effects also other modules.

If you have no copy of 3.4.0 - it’s hier, at the bottom: Release darktable 3.4.0 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/8127

1 Like

Is this bug regression only in the Windows version of 3.4.1? I am on Windows. I suppose this is something that will not be fixed until the next release scheduled for Christmas 2021?

I am pretty sure there will be some release earlier.

IMHO they should delete the Windows 3.4.1 ASAP, since it’s basically unusable. 3.4.0 should stay the current Windows version for now. A dt newcomer on Windows may come to the conclusion that dt is bug ridden and not return for years.

I will stick with 3.4.0 for the time being.

3 Likes

The problem is the chronic lack of devs/testers in Windows, so unfortunately the releases for that OS are more prone to undetected bugs.
Most of the issues with 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 have been already fixed in the 3.5 development relase, so you could use a nightly build or learn to build DT yourself, it’s not difficult. Remember to alway make a backup of database before upgrading.
And if someone wants to help with testing of new releases, that’s more than welcome.

When installing 3.5 it asks to agree to convert the DB. Does it use a different DB format? I didn’t see any improvements in 3.4.1 that effect me, I can use 3.4.0 for now (and still be happy).