Filmulator "Nightly" Builds: Now for Windows and Linux

I found an error in the produced tif: “Incorrect count for DNGPrivateData: Tag ignored”, says GIMP. Photoshop refuses to open the produced tif at all.
2020-10-25-154528_3.dng (21.3 MB)

New feature time!

Filmulator now has the capability to level images.

Simply click the leveling button, select a point to place the rotation guide, drag the reticle to rotate (drag the very center to reposition), then click the leveling button again to finish.

You can easily reset rotation to zero while leveling by double-right-clicking or by pressing shift-L.

This feature auto-crops to the maximum possible area (at the native aspect ratio) of the image. If you have a lens with strong barrel distortion that gets corrected via Lensfun, you will find that rotation doesn’t cut your field of view as much as it would otherwise.

The initial build only works with lenses covered by Lensfun, but a new build should be up this afternoon…

4 Likes

A fixed version is now up.

1 Like

2020-11-08

I made leveling available sooner after clicking the button (and the button sooner after selecting the image); you can now start leveling on the low-res fast preview.

I also fixed cropping, which had bugged out as a result of my adding leveling.

1 Like

2020-11-10

I really thought this feature would be ready for prime time when I had just finished it, but I keep coming up with improvements…

Today I realized that the cropping should be disabled whenever you’re editing the rotation, to ensure that the reticle always stays in the same place.

1 Like

2020-11-15

I’ve made some fairly impactful changes to make the experience of first opening the program and learning to use it less frustrating, without bothering experienced users.

I’ve also adjusted the tooltips on some buttons to include the keyboard shortcuts for the buttons.

1 Like

2020-11-30

I’ve just made Filmulator faster to use, especially when comparing images for culling, by preloading image data so you get a higher resolution view sooner.

If you open an uncached image, you will see the progress bar cycle three times: the first is the current image preview, the second is the next image preview, and the third is the full resolution current image.

If you switch to a preloaded image, it’ll very rapidly show the preview image that was already generated, and then move on to generate the next image preview before the new full resolution current image.

It guesses the next image for viewing by selecting the adjacent image in the work queue, in whatever direction you were traveling.

In addition, it saves the data from the last image you were viewing, so you can quickly switch between two images to decide which you like better.

2 Likes

I fixed a bug when scrolling in the queue.

1 Like

2020-12-17: fixed a bug in pasting settings; this would desync the precomputed preview.

I also re-disabled tiff exif writing for Photoshop users.

2020-12-20: TIFF exif writing should work.

2020-12-31:

Now Filmulator can download and use RawTherapee’s camconst.json file in order to use the correct white saturation points for cameras where that varies with ISO.

For example, the Canon 60D’s white saturation point in LibRaw was very low, set conservatively, but at ISOs that have higher whitepoints, there was wasted highlight headroom.

Conversely, LibRaw had the whitepoint set too high for some cameras such as the Canon 80D, causing brutal purple highlights at some ISOs.

These are now both corrected. All you need to do is to go to Settings and “Download latest camera constants”.

EDIT: not working on Windows.

1 Like

The windows build of 0.11.0rc1 is now working.

1 Like

2021-01-01: 0.11.0rc2

Nikon 12-bit files sometimes were coming out way too dark because the camconst.json raw white point was specified as if 14-bit. This is now corrected.

I often use Filmulator on DNG files written by DxO (PhotoLab).

Now I was testing with a batch of photos lying around, and one of them imports fine in the latest 0.10.2 release, the others show the exclamation file ‘use a valid file’. Is there a way to open the terminal-window or something else to see errors that might identify the problem?

(will try the latest 0.11 nightly)

edit: latest 0.11rc2 nightly works fine with the same files… guess I’m only destined for nightly Filmulator releases :P.

edit2: Spoke too soon. It seems only the first import works, anything after that claims ‘invalid file’. So I have to close Filmulator, open it again, select new files to import in place, then close again, open again, select different files… etc…

From 0.10.2 to 0.11rc2 there is a major difference in how my DNGs are rendered. Maybe the camconst work, maybe something else has changed? Maybe now the black + whitepoints are used from camconst instead of the ones inside the DNG metadata?

Pictures appear way brighter upon initial loading. With that effect, there seems to be quite some highlight-clipping going on. In some images I have to work hard with the highlight-recovery, putting exposure down and putting the highlight-rolloff down and still it’s not as good as 0.10.2 (where I had to raise exposure, but the highlights are then saved with Filmulators algorithm).

Is there a way to turn off using the values from camconst?

Hello everyone,

New dummy tester here :slight_smile:

I have just installed it on Windows 10.
Here is a problem I have bumped into. Probably related to the fact I don’t know how it works…
Whenever I press “Save TIFF” or “Save JPEG” nothing occurs…
A tooltip does appear and it reports that the image will be saved in the same folder of my RAWs files. In my case is the Windows 10 SSD partition named D: (where it should not need any “privilege as Administrator” to proceed and execute this command)

BTW, in the GUIs there is no simple way to find the version of Filmulator which I have been testing (usually you got it in the Settings tab).
It is Filmulator_v0.11.0rc2 though (got from the .exe installer…)

Anyway, thanks a lot for releasing this software. It is quite interesting :slight_smile:

EDIT.
Compared to other applications (e.g. RawTherapee) its GUIs is a bit “sluggish”…
For instance, given a Nefs raw file from Nikon D700 rotate the image is time-consuming. With RawTherapee it is much faster…

Here are my specs:
CPU Intel I7 6500U
GPU Nvidia
RAM 8 gb
SSD 512 gb
Display: full Hd (13 inch)

What camera do you have? Can you upload a raw where this happens? I’ve never dealt with DxO converted dng’s before.

In any case you can delete the camconst.json over in ~/.local/share/filmulator/ on Linux or C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\filmulator\ on Windows. I might add a setting to just disable it though.

Each jpeg or tiff should be saved right next to each individual raw file. Is that not the case?

Filmulator is indeed very CPU heavy, and your processor is a 2015 low power dual-core. Are you talking about 90 degree rotation which should be reasonably quick, or leveling, which requires computation from an early stage?

Hello @CarVac

Each jpeg or tiff should be saved right next to each individual raw file.

I know :slight_smile:
I have checked but no image is saved. All in all, I would expect that whenever I press these 2 buttons (jpeg - tiff) a new window appear, with all its settings…
Usually, for instance, you might want to rename the image etc

Here are the settings:

Filmulator is indeed very CPU heavy, and your processor is a 2015 low power dual-core.

Yep. Actually, my “real” computer has 16 gb of Ram and a much powerful CPU. Now I am at home :slight_smile:
This being said I only rotate 90° clockwise the image (Nikon D700 - around 10mb)
I only compare it with RawTherapee (in fact, it is the fork named ART…)
Also the sliders are a bit “sluggish”. Always compared to ART.

Workaround for the time being: clear the text box under “import files” before selecting the next one. Or import entire directories.

I’ll see about fixing this right now, though.

EDIT: it was a super easy fix; waiting on builds right now.