Filmulator "Nightly" Builds: Now for Windows and Linux

What camera do you have? Can you upload a raw where this happens? I’ve never dealt with DxO converted dng’s before.

In any case you can delete the camconst.json over in ~/.local/share/filmulator/ on Linux or C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\filmulator\ on Windows. I might add a setting to just disable it though.

Each jpeg or tiff should be saved right next to each individual raw file. Is that not the case?

Filmulator is indeed very CPU heavy, and your processor is a 2015 low power dual-core. Are you talking about 90 degree rotation which should be reasonably quick, or leveling, which requires computation from an early stage?

Hello @CarVac

Each jpeg or tiff should be saved right next to each individual raw file.

I know :slight_smile:
I have checked but no image is saved. All in all, I would expect that whenever I press these 2 buttons (jpeg - tiff) a new window appear, with all its settings…
Usually, for instance, you might want to rename the image etc

Here are the settings:

Filmulator is indeed very CPU heavy, and your processor is a 2015 low power dual-core.

Yep. Actually, my “real” computer has 16 gb of Ram and a much powerful CPU. Now I am at home :slight_smile:
This being said I only rotate 90° clockwise the image (Nikon D700 - around 10mb)
I only compare it with RawTherapee (in fact, it is the fork named ART…)
Also the sliders are a bit “sluggish”. Always compared to ART.

Workaround for the time being: clear the text box under “import files” before selecting the next one. Or import entire directories.

I’ll see about fixing this right now, though.

EDIT: it was a super easy fix; waiting on builds right now.

2021-01-02: v0.11.0rc3

Fixed repeated importing of files.

EDIT: it was a super easy fix; waiting on builds right now.

:bowing_man: :bowing_man:

When I made changes to the parameters, you see a progress bar in the top-left of the Window. Changes you make are quick to be visible, but in the background it appears to be building it’s full 1:1 copy.

Only when that full-res version is made (and the progress bar is done), is it possible to click the save buttons. You see them ‘lighting’ up when they’re ready. If you click them, you should see some sort of feedback (border flash or something). Only then are they saved.

And yes, you get no options what so ever. They are just written with sRGB and something like %filename%-output.%extension% in the same folder as the input file.

For me this is more than enough, but people expecting more of a full-fledged UI experience might think ‘ehh?’. It’s the results for me that count :P.

I never rotate or crop or do anything other than mess with the exposure values in Filmulator. But I just wanted to say here that the panning and zooming is one of the most responsive UI’s I’ve seen. Maybe because it’s not afraid to keep a full-res version in memory, maybe because of all the work Qt has done to it’s QML-platform, maybe because of Carvac :). But together with Affinity Photo it’s one of those tools where I get a small just ‘flicking’ an image across the screen :).
I do find myself often having to wait a few seconds before I can click ‘save’ and move on to the next image, but… mweh :man_shrugging:.

I like it that the UI is responsive unless there is a progress-bar on screen indicating it is doing something. ON1 Raw 2020 for instance, I can click on ‘edit’ and over a time of 2 seconds the UI bit by bit turns into the edit UI, making me feel like the whole application is sluggish. Clicking on the next picture in the filmstrip also takes a couple of seconds (Intel 8xxx series quad-core, or AMD Ryzen 2700 octo-core). This annoys me like crazy. It’s probably doing important stuff (saving edits, rendering a preview, etc…). But if it showed it was doing something I would have more respect for it, instead of just not responding to my click for 2 seconds.

The only place where I’m waiting for Filmulator to finish something while it’s not clear it’s doing something, is building the thumbnails in the filmstrip. And if I then click / double click on a picture in the filmstrip I expect to ‘edit’ it, but nothing happens… I have to click the filmulate-tab myself :). But at least it’s instant by then.

1 Like

I should have it kick over to the Filmulate tab on selecting an image…

Let’s see if this can be done simply.

Hello @jorismak

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Filmulator, as every software, needs some time to get accostumed with its GUIs.
Now I have set correctly my directories (import - export) and the Tiff - jpeg are saved.

Just out of curiosity, where the xmp are stored?
With other softwares (darktable, RawTherapee) when I modify a Raw file a new ancillory file (xmp, pp3 etc) is created in the same folder. This does not occurs with Filmulator (maybe they are just hidden…)
I read the short manual on github but It is not mentioned.

BTW, I have tried to rotate 90° degree to the right a Nef image (Nikon D850) - around 36 mb. Filmulator either freezes my computer or, when it is able to perform the task, it did take a lot of time. With ART or RawTherapee same RAW image, same computer, it is a breeze.
The zoom instead is super fast with Filmulator :slight_smile:

There are no sidecar files. There’s a database in the application settings directory.

Hello @CarVac

There are no sidecar files. There’s a database in the application settings directory.

Sorry for the dumb question: just a curiosity indeed since I am not a programmer by trade.
Is it “safe” not to have a sidecar file for every image?
What I mean by this is that with a text file (xmp etc) for every single image the advantage is that there is “less” risk to lose all your previous change. If the Database get corrupted you are toast :slight_smile:
So I am told about darktable or RawTherapee at least :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t consider it unsafe at all. It’s less liable to be corrupted than a text-based sidecar file because it’s an actual SQLite database with proper transactions; if the program crashes while writing the database will be intact in the previous state.

The only risk would be if your entire filesystem is lost; one future feature I’m considering is being able to create backups of the database and import settings from them.

Hello @CarVac

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just further question…
How do I delete my previous editing as regards the RAWs?
With RawTherapee, for instance, I only have to delete the pp3 file to turn back. How can I get the same result with Filmulator?
I didn’t see a “history” tab in its GUIs…

Last question, did you have smartphone or tablets in mind when you crafted the GUIs?
In my personal opinion, It looks like Filmulator is more “similar” to an App for smartphones than to a classical software for Pc (no criticism abut this…) :slight_smile:

Just hit reset on all the options to reset to default. Crop you have to drag the corners all the way out, and in the leveling functionality you have to double-right-click to reset the angle to 0 degrees.

As far as the UI, I basically started from scratch: I made what I wanted with no preconceptions as to what was normal, and without trying to look like “native” software.

Hello @CarVac

and without trying to look like “native” software.

Yep. Its GUIs is indeed different from the other open source softwares discussed in this forum :slight_smile:
In my mind, It looks quite like an Android app (e.g. having SQLite as database) which is not bad at all in my view :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your work on this software!

1 Like

This might sound ‘blunt’ but I don’t mean it like that at all. See it as my Dutch directness :).

1. Those xmp, pp3 etc… files are called ‘sidecar’ files. It’s absolutely not a standard to have them. Adobe Camera Raw (Lightroom) needs an option to write them for example.

2. Those programs all write their own format. So they are not (directly) interchangeable. Even if two programs both write ‘xmp’ files, the edits are not interchangeable. With luck simple Metadata as dates and tags are interchangeable, but never assume

3. If a program saves changes but doesn’t write sidecar files, there is (almost) always some sort of database somewhere.
    It is your responsibility to make sure they are backed up, although some programs offer reminders to help you (but nothing more really).

I understand that some users find it easy that there are little files written next to source files (back them both up and presto) but others find that cluttering. Specially with your source files all over the place (or multiple systems) a central database might be better (but choose for yourself, this is highly opinionated).

1. To offer a different view: I don’t care about the edits. Really. Hear me out :).

What I care about is ‘my capture’: the raw file, the movie files, the film negatives. And I save my output: what I deliver, what I put online, what I print.

The edits are the steps in between. And once I’m done, I’m done. I never go back to be honest.
What I WILL do is evaluate other software, workflow options, etc… For which I need to source files.
The edits? They are more of a hassle. The software will evolve, so the values written for an edit either become invalid, or take time to check and keep update with evolving and changing software.

And my editing ‘style’ also changes over time. I’m sure I will do an edit completely different this time than a year ago.

So… If you move a slider and find it important to save that edit: know where your software writes the stuff and make sure you back it up.

Personally, source files go to my backup habits as quick as possible, and I save the final delivered files. The rest, :man_shrugging:.

Hello @jorismak

This might sound ‘blunt’ but I don’t mean it like that at all.

No. On the contrary, your message does make a lot of sense :slight_smile:
With RawTherapee you can exchange your pp3 (sidecar file) to other users and this is useful to compare your editing.
But again, it is a personal taste to like this option or not.
Darktable is able to import the xmp files of Lightroom but many features are not implemented due to the lack of information by Adobe to do so correctly.

At work, in an Italian public service, I take on a nearly daily basis some macro pictures of our plant diseases samples (Nikon D850 on a tripod).
Every picture takes a lot of time to prepare it (correct shadows, right sharpness etc). I “even” focus-stack some of them with the Zerene software if necessary.
For instance, I always shoot at ISO 64 and there nearly is no noise on them.
In the end, I do a very little amount of editing mostly because I lack the time to do so and I own a Nikon D850 which is quite forgiving.

One of my previous “teachers”, as regards macro pictures, always insisted that it is important to learn how to “take home” the smallest amount of pictures possible in order to reduce their editing later on. Nowdays, with digital cameras, is so easy (and free) to take huge amount of pictures :slight_smile:

2021-01-03: v0.11.0rc4

Make DNGs ignore camconst, because we assume that they include the proper whitepoint in the metadata and that LibRaw reads it correctly.

Also, as per request, the version number is seen at the bottom right of the Settings tab.

:bowing_man:

Hello everyone,

I have just installed myself the newest version, just released :slight_smile:

To make it short, on Windows 10, I had to close all the other softwares otherwise Filmulator sometimes freezes my whole computer when I rotate 90° some Raw images (Nikon D850 - around 40 mb each).
When It rotates them, 90° to the right, it usually takes 20-30 seconds.

Here is a screenshot:

I suppose it is my hardware’s fault (not beefy enough for this task…).
I am at home right now and I work with an old laptop (CPU Intel I7, 8 gb RAM).
What it is strange though it is that all the other softwares (RawTherapee, darktable etc ) don’t show any problem whatsoever, even in multi-tasking with other sofware running (Firefox, VLC Player etc)

If someone wants to test on his computer (maybe Linux) here is one of the “offending” images (Dropbox link…):

I have shot this image while I was testing a new Laowa 100 (f2.8) mm macro lens we bought.

BTW, is there a way to visualize a pop-up with the name of my images in the gallery when I hover on them my cursor’s mouse?
I shot some pictures which are pretty much identical one another and I can’t choose them easily only by looking at their thumbnails :slight_smile: