Filmulator: Preserving zoom as the source image size changes

Here’s another short blog-style blurb on the latest development in Filmulator.

Yesterday I bought a Canon 5D, the original 12.8 megapixel version, and today at lunch I was comparing its performance with a Contax 28/2.8 against my Ricoh GR, a 16mp APS-C compact with an incredibly sharp 28mm equivalent lens. (Turns out they’re about equal in the middle at wide apertures, the GR is better on the edges at wide apertures, but the 5D overtakes the GR at f/8 (5.6 on the GR) across the entire frame despite the resolution difference. But that’s not the point of this post.)

Anyway, I was flipping between the photos from the two cameras in Filmulator, and the image was changing size and moving around on me. Turns out that Filmulator was keeping the scale of the image constant—relative to the pixels of the image.

It was a simple fix, having it store the image scale relative to the size that barely fits inside the viewport, and set the zoom level back to that upon loading the new image, but it makes a huge difference in usability when you have mismatching camera resolutions.

Next on the list to do: automatic renaming of overlapping filenames, now that I have two Canons and the filenames will eventually match someday…

1 Like

Turns out it wasn’t working in all cases before. Today I fixed it.