Finally gotcha!

Today I went out to try my new telephoto lens. I found this robin struggling with quite a large worm.

28 Likes

That’s a nice catch and you also did a nice job catching this :grin:

But, but… No embedded info about which lens was used!

Always hard to judge a lens when seeing just one image shot with it, does look nice at first sight, though. Are you happy with the results, for as far as you can already tell?

Hi Jacques,
thanks for your reply. For the showcase category, I usually take out the metadata because I’m all about enjoying the photos and not about technical criticism and discussion.
But here it is certainly interesting. It was the Tamron 150-500 (Sony alpha 7 III) at 500mm, F6.7, 1/400, ISO 2000. At this focal length depth of field is a little problematic but the autofocus on the bird’s head was always accurate. I haven’t taken that many photos yet but what I have seen so far has me excited. So, looking forward to more opportunities. The weather is good and I will probably go out again today.

1 Like

Understandable and, in general, I agree. You specifically mentioning shooting with a newly acquired lens which made me curious.

DOF when shooting fully open is something to take into consideration when shooting with long, in this case 500mm, lenses. f/6.7 and an object at 15 m distance gives you only a total of 35 cm of DOF.

Good to read that your enthusiastic about this one!

Actually, at 4m distance (as in this case) it’s only 2 cm DOF. Even with F11 it would be just 4 cm :astonished:.

lololol

One less worm on the planet, now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny, from the look of the bokeh, I assumed it might be a Tamron lens…bokeh is a bit busy at times, but I do enjoy the 150-500 for its overall qualities quite a lot, too.
As for the timing of your shot: this is of course a brilliant moment (well, for the bird and you, not the worm…), well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No doubt a parable of our craft. :smile:

1 Like