Finding the right lens profile; Nikon FX lenses on DX bodies

I’m trying to figure out the right lens correction profile for a Nikon 24-120mm f/4 used on a D90. But the only profile (lcp file) I’ve been able to find for the 24-120 is for a D3X. Will that work, or will it over-correct due to the profile being for an FX (full frame) camera, with my D90 being a DX (crop frame)?

If it isn’t the right profile, is there any source of lcp files for FX lenses on DX bodies? Or is creating my own lcp file my only option?

You need a lcp file for your sensor size. Try Adobe Lens Profile Downloader:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=192&platform=Windows
It’s a collection of user made profiles.

Or make your own
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles#Make_your_own_using_Adobe_Lens_Profile_Creator_2

1 Like

there is a setting inside LensFun DB also for the crop sensor.

Good idea, but I already looked there. That’s where I got the profile on the D3x from. Profiles for FX lenses on DX bodies seem to be as rare as hens teeth.

I have the same issue I have a DX camera and some old FX lenses. It only takes a couple of hours work to produce a LCP for a Zoom lens, (faster with a prime lens) using How to get LCP and DCP profiles - RawPedia and I am pleased with the result.

And now I’ve learned why lcp files for FX lenses on DX bodies are so rare: Lightroom and Photoshop apparently have the ability to correctly use lcp files created on full-frame bodies on raw files created by crop-frame bodies. So if I used a D3x lens profile on a D90 NEF in Lightroom, then Lightroom would automagically adjust to apply fixes for distortion, viginetting, etc. correctly to the crop-sensor file.

Unfortunately, Raw Therapee doesn’t have this ability, and will overcorrect if I try to apply a D3x lcp to a D90 NEF.

Heloo all

Glad to discover and joined this forum. Can you help me about Canon Lens profile in order to correct lens correction in Raw Th? I’ve watched some infos posted here and I still cannot figure it out.

Thank you!

Hello Guys,

After many hours of research on Internet, I couldn’t find a solution for my issue. I have a Nikon D750, and I use today mainly a nikkor, 50mm f/1.8G AF-S. I would like to use the right profil on the lens correction profile in RT. I already downloaded Adobe Lens Profile, but the only lens listed for the D750 is a Samyang 14mm. After this I downloaded the last version of Camera Raw and went to the file LensProfiles->1.0->Nikon, but no lens profile for D750 :frowning:
I Guess I have no choice I need to create my own Lcp for my sensor but the link listed here are not working anymore. Someone has some recommandation? a newlink available explaining how to create a profile?
Thanks a lot

Adobe Lens Creator user guide:

I think you could use the Nikon D3X / 50mm f/1.8 profile - it’s the same sensor size, in terms of being both FX and 24MP.