Firefox "Nova" Theme

If you, like me, dislike the new “nova” theme on firefox: Installing the official “Proton” Theme has made it much more palatable.

Also you can open about:config, search for browser.nova.enabled and toggle nova off.

7 Likes

Thanks! I am one of those people who simply don’t like major changes in GUI appearance unless there is a big advantage. I just want the new features, no theme changes.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. The Proton theme makes Firefox look pretty much how I remember (other than the rounded corners, of course). The Default theme has poor contrast in the address bar dropdown (dark blue on dark grey), while the Dark theme is very… purple. Rounded corners are a bit silly, but they don’t bother me too much because the user interface density did not change.

2 Likes

Yep… searched about:config for “nova” and disabled what I found. Worked. Also had to turn smooth scrolling off, since the update has enabled it

I am using the Black theme as the default now, as Nova is electric for my taste. I like pure soft or dark colours or shades. What’s up with the Firefox flag themes? Are people that patriotic? Canadians are for the most part non-flag bearing. Ironically, it tends to be the unpatriotic who fly the flag.

I am using the black proton theme with the vertical tabs, it works great, although I am noticing some slowdowns in a few sites.

1 Like

Ha, I noticed all of those flag themes, too. I also noticed that they didn’t have many installs.

I don’t see any appeal to having an eye-catching/graphical theme in my browser. I want to focus on web sites, not browser toolbars…

Maybe I’m using the Nova theme and don’t notice it. :neutral_face:

1 Like

On my linux machines I have noticed that the standard theme is the “linux theme” and that looks very similar to the proton theme linked above. So I didn’t get the colorful candystore of a tab bar that nova brings to windows users :wink: .

1 Like

My Firefox updated yesterday, and I’m now on Nova I guess because I’m seeing some rounded buttons.

I don’t think I care enough about it though. I browser-hopped for years before settling on Firefox, and for the most part I’m happy with it. I can sympathize with those who don’t like things changing, but Nova can be turned off, so I’m not going to get mad about it.

1 Like

Yep, I just checked, and I’m using “Linux system theme”. Several other choices are selectable, but Nova is not one of them.