FixBadPixelList and DNG

RawTherapee has the possibility to remove bad pixels (in this case due to laser) Dark-Frame - RawPedia

This will only work in RawTherapee so I wonder how to apply a bad pixel list in the DNG format? Is it possible to use Exiftool to add a bad pixel list, and in that case, how? I already have all the bad pixels in a text file for RawTherapee.

Page 112.

Will darktable read the Opcode tag FixBadPixelList?

Exiftool should be able to write the list, or possibly exiv2.

I’m not sure if dt supports that opcode - I’m pretty sure RT does not yet. I know someone around here wrote a tool that preprocesses DNGs to apply the GainMap, you could probably modify that to do bad pixel preprocessing.

OpcodeList1 is handled by RawSpeed, and it looks like it handles the fixed list: rawspeed/src/librawspeed/common/DngOpcodes.cpp at a47522756392c5ace752fbd89de2832e47d3e4fc · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub

1 Like

What I found before at Exiftool forum was only to copy/paste from one DNG to another, but not how to modify.

Opcodelist3 Use exiftool to modify OpCodeList

Have you tried the hot pixels module in darktable to see if that will do the job? I have been pleasantly surprised how good that module tackles bad pixels.

Raw files here Canon 5d mark IV sensor problem.: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Never had any success with the hot pixel module in darktable and burned pixels. Only the bad pixel list in RawTherapee.

I see what you mean Peter. These are not your run of the mill hot pixels that DT’s module can handle well.

My bad pixel list for RawTherapee and that camera Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.badpixels - Google Drive

Everything but the point x=3350 y=2474 works. That point has too many bad pixels around.