Flatpak darktable 4.6.1 still unstable

I am on Linux Mint 21.3, 64GB RAM, plenty of space on SSD, RTX 3060 Ti graphics card. Currently using darktable 3.8. Darktable set up to create external xmp files in the same folder as the photos.

I downloaded darktable 4.6.1 from the Flathub repository of my distro. I then opened a folder of photos I previously edited in darktable 3.8 today.

I selected one photo to use as a template of a style. I opened the “Create style” dialog. I deselected all options. Then I tried to click on the empty box opposite one of the settings from the photo.

Darktable stopped. I could still move the mouse cursor, but clicking on any box did not register. About 10 seconds later it quit suddenly.

Previously, darktable 4.6.0 had crashed when I tried to recursively import my entire library (a task which darktable 3.8 did without problem). It also crashed when I tried to use the “tag” filter in collections to search for a keyword.

I’ll continue to use darktable 3.8 from my distro’s repository. I have used darktable for 10 years, and this is the first version of it that has felt so unstable.

I’ve never encountered any problems using Flathub applications. I use it because the applications get updated more frequently than my distro’s repository.

Welcome.

If you share the log file from -d common, we might be able to understand what’s going on. Most of us are not seeing these problems.

1 Like

What is this -d common log file? How does one go about finding it? Please describe in great detail the steps I have to take in order to find/get this log file. Thanks.

The darktable FAQ answers these questions. The flatpak section describes how to do it in flatpak.

2 Likes

Ok, so in a terminal I type flatpak run org.darktable.Darktable -d common. Darktable launched. I did the create style steps. It crashed.

I looked at the terminal and the last 2 lines said:
“an error occurred while trying to execute gdb. please check if gdb is installed on your system.
backtrace written to /tmp/darktable_bt_4Z3QJ2.txt”

gdb is installed with Linux Mint 21.3. I checked. So I looked in the /tmp directory and couldn’t find the backtrace txt file mentioned. There’s no file with “darktable” in its name in the /tmp directory.

So now what?

From terminal, copy/paste everything after the -d common to a txt file and attach it here.

From a terminal, please do cd ~/.var/lib && find . -I name darktable_bt_4Z3QJ2.txt

If the find command returns the file location, please upload the file.

I copied everything in the terminal window after I invoked the -d common command. Hope it’s useful.
darktable.txt (315.0 KB)

The file seems to indicate a gtk issue in the flatpak. The first one shows up right when the program starts:
Gtk-Message: 09:38:30.459: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module" and then more errors right before the segfault. Mica pointed me to this issue: Running the flatpak fails: 'Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"' · Issue #184 · flathub/org.gnome.Lollypop · GitHub

See this post at the mint forum

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=386422

I don’t know why people consider an issue SOLVED – and label it thus in the title – when it “miraculously fixes itself” without a clue what actually happened. :groan:

Ian

Solved? I guess it’s now up to the people who package darktable into flatpaks to figure out what is going on with resource detection. I’m just continuing to use whatever stable version of darktable I could find.

For anyone interested in reverting to a previous version of their flatpak darktable, I found this very useful tutorial on how to do this:

https://itsfoss.com/downgrade-flatpak-packages/

I’m now back on darktable 4.4.2 in its flatpak incarnation. It imported my entire library recursively without any problem.

What a relief.

Hard to figure out what is going because you never told us what else you tried based on the links posted.

The flatpak works for me and you’re the one with the problem. We can’t figure out a problem we can’t reproduce.

Getting the same crash with the flatpak version on tumbleweed. But I’m afraid I can’t give much more input since I can’t find the allegedly written backtrace… I granted the flatpak as many rights as possible and searched the whole partition, but it’s not there.

Since I use the obs version, this crash doesn’t really bother me. However, if someone has an idea how I could submit valuable data, I’m available for testing.

-d common.txt (9.2 KB)