Flight of the Bumblebee

It’s sunflower season once again in the US Mid Atlantic! Playing with the macro lens I got this shot of a bumblebee taking in all the pollen it could carry. The challange for this one was getting the right level of sharpening to capture all the grains this on this gal without over doing it. The following are the same edits, but adjusted with the sharpen, contrast equalizer, and the new sharpen or diffuse module (DT development ver. 3.7.0+393):

The raw file is
_MG_3303.CR2 (26.1 MB)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

_MG_3303 w Sharpen.CR2.xmp (7.9 KB)

_MG_3303_Contrast Eq.jpg.xmp (999 Bytes)

_MG_3303_Diffuse.CR2.xmp (11.7 KB)

The differences are subtle, but I think the diffuse module wins out. For this case I used the “lens deblur:hard” preset with the iterations changed to 11.

Have fun!

7 Likes

Lovely image. The diffuse module does a good job of discriminating the edges and preventing or suppressing the halos or gradient reversals.

1 Like

That is a great picture. What aperture/shutter speed were you using? The depth of field looks spot on to me.

1 Like

@europlatus, thanks. I took that at 1/2000”, f/7.2 and ISO 1600. Contrary to the common advice, autofocus was my friend…

My editing - photoflow + GIMP-LAB (noise reduction, sharpening)

1 Like