FLOSS Android stack

Part of this is because the UI paradigms for a good touch UI and for a good desktop UI for mouse/keyboard are completely and totally different.

A smaller part is that Android basically requires Java or an oddball Java-derivative (Kotlin) unless using hacks to try and make applications originally targeted at X/wayland kinda sorta work on a tablet like this Andronix thing, and most desktop Linux applications are NOT done in java

Yes, that would be theoretically nice. Maybe at least, from an image management / organizational viewpoint.

But for me, a mobile device ā€“ even a tablet ā€“ is at best a temporary stand-in for a desktop or laptop. I find touch-UIs and small(er) screens are OK when Iā€™m away from my computer, but thereā€™s no way I would choose to work via them if a better UX is available (i.e., if Iā€™m not limited to them, being on the road). Tablets and phones are vastly better than nothing, but far inferior to an actual computer. For that matter, I donā€™t even care for touch screens on computers. Of course, thatā€™s personal preference.

Now, if an Android tablet could be used to replace my cheap Wacom, with the image being edited visible on the tablet and on my monitor, then I might be interested. But for me itā€™s painful to try and do Actual Work on a mobile device.

Of course YMMV.

1 Like

Iā€™m having a hard time wrapping my head around OSMand being considered FLOSS. Maybe it was less restrictive, but currently it is crippleware of the worst kind.

You get 7 downloads of maps. Period. Whether they are updates or not, then you have to pay.

Doesnā€™t fit my concept of FLOSS.

If a dev wants to provide a paid version with extended capabilities, I can wrap my arms around that. But crippleware, never ever.

I get it from fdroid where there are no such restrictions.

But it is, the source code is licensed freely.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll check out fdroid.

Thanks

For maps, I use Organic Maps. Open source with essentially no differences between the Play Store and F-Droid versions.

My browser is Firefox Nightly, since it allows me to use any extension - not just the small curated selection in standard Firefox.

My extensions collection, if you donā€™t want to create your own:

2 Likes