Foggy encounters

I was blessed that morning, a flock of chamois right on my path, and quite close to me.
And of course, in the middle of the fog… :unamused:
Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2 (27.9 MB)

Here my attempted recovery, I spent roughly 10 minutes, didn’t have much time…

Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp (12.9 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Anybody would like to have a go at it?
Curious to see what can be done to it.

Have fun :wink:

PS: sorry for the watermark in the jpg, forgot to disable the module before exporting this time

2 Likes

I just beat the fog out of it. :man_shrugging:

Trentino_estate_20210000_0290_01.jpg.xmp (15.2 KB)

4 Likes

Tried to retain a little of the foggy atmosphere.

foggy-encounters-Trentino_estate_2021_0290_01.CR2.xmp (26.8 KB)

foggy-encounters-Trentino_estate_2021_0290_02.CR2.xmp (26.8 KB)
dt 3.6.1

6 Likes

Another fog buster edit…

4 Likes

I see in this one the fog removal is very good.
Can you share details of the editing or the sidecar?

thanks for the good scene (and raw)… a good piece to improve my skill on dt (Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp 15.8 KB)

(it’s quite noisy for peeping, and personally one of biggest mystery on how to achieve a good noise reduction on dt)

3 Likes

foggy.encouners.pp3 (21.7 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development + Future LA Tool

Testing an in development tool for the Local Adjustments tab.

2 Likes

You can just load the jpg as a sidecar file as you would an xmp and you should get the history stack…

Interesting, I didn’t know about this.
Anyhow, I load the jpg as a sidecar, but the result in darktable doesn’t look very similar to the jpg, actually.

It looks like all fine details are gone (as if smaller scales of a wavelet decompose have been removed).
Could it be a difference in the darktable version? Or maybe in the order of modules?

Nice!

Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp (20.3 KB)

2 Likes

Looks a little like old film :slight_smile: .

That’s nice, for people who like old film. You might be not that wrong, in fact my edit reminded me of a negative-play-raw I did here.

But it appears somehow unease (unruhig für meine Augen) to me and I tried to improve it:

Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp (15.6 KB)

1 Like

Two versions done in GIMP. One where I have tried to emphasise the fog, the other where I have attempted to de-emphasise it!

1 Like

Just remove astro denoise …there was some luma noise in the grass I didn’t like …that likely affects the detail…I will have to go back to the edit and look at the modules added that might impact the detail…I am using recent dev build so maybe as well if your’s is older it might have a slightly different output??

EDIT:

I went back and edited it again…this time I tried to tone the browns a bit…I have not seen these particular animals before so hard to know the right look for them…one done with color zones and one with color lookup I think I like the color lookup one more… (second one) but I just did it quickly at work on an uncalibrated monitor so not sure how it will look elsewhere…

1 Like

That’s a hard one! I’ve tried my best, combining several different preadjustments I have… Perhaps a bit overcooked, but it’s what I can do in bit more than 5 minutes.

Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp (10.0 KB)
dt 3.7.0 beta

2 Likes

I actually embraced the fog. :grin: And added even more with an inverse graduate density gradient.
With darktable!

Trentino_estate_2021_0290.CR2.xmp (9.1 KB)

6 Likes

GIMP 2.10.28 LAB

1 Like

Thank a lot everybody. I really love how this thread is flowing.

And I’ve actually realized that one way to cope with the fog is turn to a film look and add some nice grain, that allows to “cover up” for the foggy look.
I really like some of the interpretations in this direction.

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.6.1

Trentino_estate_2021_0290_02.CR2.xmp (24.0 KB)

1 Like

ART

1 Like