fonts alternate glyphs : calling and automating variations ?

Hello everyone, this post concerns especially comic book authors.

I know that the OTF font format allows to include several different versions of each letter. This is suitable (amongst others) for comic book lettering where you try to reproduce the variations of the hand-lettering.

In Gimp, on the text layers, could we easily access these alternative glyphs? And can we imagine a script that automates the succession of glyph variations?

Here is a youtube link that shows the process Lettre et bande dessinée - YouTube but unfortunately it looks like the adobe tools are used there (I don’t know if there is a custom script part in the process)

Could we imagine this in Gimp ?
(or if I could possibly contribute to make it possible, even if I never wrote a script, it would be an opportunity to start)

(In the same vein, an automation of random variations in letter placement in height, could also help make the “fake hand lettering” more lively)

Thanks!

Really better ask as a feature here, or at least in a forum where the developers show up from time to time.

For the second part, my own ofn-text-along-path script allows you to add some random tilt, height, and spacing (in that case you would use it with a straight path). For instance using the XKCD font:

If you know the unicode for the glyph then you can enter directly into the Gimp text tool shift-ctrl-u then (the code for the character)

How you might automate that I do not know.

This might be interesting, using pango + Gimp GEGL graph see: Liam Quin / gegl-pango-markup · GitLab

I compiled that GEGL plugin for my kubuntu 20.04 and it sort of works.

https://i.imgur.com/M6JDchn.jpg

If you use Windows then see: Learn GEGL graph - Page 5 • GIMP Chat for a download.

Again I do not know how you might enter alternative glyphs other than individual unicode - that circled one is shift-ctrl-u + 2460

Thank you both, I will follow your leads, even though I am not yet familiar with using custom scripts, but I will take this opportunity to learn!

That might help a bit.

Random TL