For a new darktable, a new script_manager

I have the same on my system. If you run darktable from the menu, then all the scripts will work fine. If you run darktable from a command line and the script tries to execute a system call it

• may work
  • may not work
  • may work but in a really strange manner

I have the same shell installed on my windows system, so when I run darktable and want to look at the debugging output I start darktable in a windows command prompt with "C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe" -d lua > log.txt and then I have a bash shell running tail -f log.txt so I can see whatā€™s happening.

I had first been testing using the bash shell only and just observing the output when I discovered that certain scripts that accessed the operating system didnā€™t do what I expected them to.

Anyway, did we get script_manager running?

Bill

Yes, script_manager is running now!
Thank you very much!

Only error message now is saying that ā€˜rename.luaā€™ is no longer working and I really liked the script.

What error message is it giving?

I was talking about the 'batch rename scriptā€™, file called ā€˜rename.luaā€™.

Error messages

22,897648 LUA ERROR: script_manager.lua: activate: 208: Error loading downloads/rename
22,897648 LUA ERROR: script_manager.lua: activate: 209: Error message: ā€¦\Haribo\AppData\Local\darktable/lua/downloads/rename.lua:76: attempt to concatenate a nil value (local ā€˜HOMEā€™)

Hereā€™s a fixed oneā€¦rename.zip (3.5 KB)

1 Like

Runnung again, excellent, thank you so much.

Wouldnā€™t it be smart to not only getting some hover over info but being able to select from these as renaming presets?

Iā€™ll think about it. There might be a way to do this. If nothing else, I could save the previously used expressions and re-offer them.

Hi Bill-

A little late to the game, but I gave up waiting for Manjaro to release dt3.4 and installed from the AUR. I had previously installed a flatpack, and was unable (nor did I expect to) get the photils lua script going. Iā€™ve removed the flatpak.

On the new install from the AUR, the script installer doesnā€™t show up in the initial launch of dt. My darktable RC has the following:

lua/_scripts_install/dont_show=FALSE
lua/_scripts_install/remind=
lua/executable_paths/gimp=
lua/executable_paths/mv=
lua/executable_paths/photils-cli=/home/marcs/Applications/photils-cli-linux-x86_64.AppImage
lua/photils/show_confidence=TRUE

I edited the path to the executable for photils-cli to reflect itā€™s location.

Not sure where to go from here, if itā€™s a problem with the AUR build, or what.
Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Try running darktable from the command line with --version and see if lua support is compiled in. If so, run darktable -d lua, and see what the output is.

Hi Bill-

darktable --version

this is darktable 3.4.0
copyright (c) 2009-2021 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
bit depth is 64 bit
normal build
SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
OpenMP support enabled
OpenCL support enabled
Lua support enabled, API version 6.1.0
Colord support enabled
gPhoto2 support enabled
GraphicsMagick support enabled
ImageMagick support disabled
OpenEXR support enabled

I think that the problem is with this AUR build.
Iā€™m on a test machine, and checked another Arch derivative distro (Garuda XFCE). Itā€™s version of darktable is from the ā€œofficial Repo Communityā€, and this darktable version shows the script manager in position as expected.

Guess Iā€™ll just wait a bit longer for the Manjaro release before updating on my production machine. Thanks for your suggestion.

Lua support is compiled into darktable, so my guess is the lua library is not installed. Check if you have the lua 5.3 libraries installed.

Hi Bill-

Lua libraries installed. I re-read your first response, turns out the luarc file was missing. I copied/pasted the one from the flatpac, restarted and the script manager did show up, and Iā€™m able to use photils as normal.

Thanks for your help, sorry I missed the second part of your recommedation.

1 Like

Sorry I found another one: ā€˜postsharpen.luaā€™ does not work anymore.

Does it need an update to work with the new Script Manager?

No, nothing has changed with it. What error did you get?

110,812505 LUA ERROR: script_manager.lua: activate: 208: Error loading downloads/postsharpen
110,812505 LUA ERROR: script_manager.lua: activate: 209: Error message: ā€¦ld\AppData\Local\darktable/lua/downloads/postsharpen.lua:57: attempt to concatenate a nil value (local ā€˜HOMEā€™)

Sorry, that was actually fixed in my local copy but I forgot to push it. Pull a fresh copy and you should have the update.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
thank you again, working fine now!

1 Like

Hi Bill-

Just upgraded to dt 3.4 on my Manjaro installation and once again the lua script manager is not showing in the left hand window.

I still have a working lua photils script installed and working.

Hereā€™s some terminal output:

$ darktable --version
this is darktable 3.4.0
copyright (c) 2009-2020 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
bit depth is 64 bit
normal build
SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
OpenMP support enabled
OpenCL support enabled
Lua support enabled, API version 6.1.0
Colord support enabled
gPhoto2 support enabled
GraphicsMagick support enabled
ImageMagick support disabled
OpenEXR support enabled

I did check, my luarc file is present in the .config/darktable directory.

Any help would be appreciated!

Is it down on the bottom left? If not please run darktable from a terminal with -d lua and see what that shows

Hi Bill-

Itā€™s not at the bottom left, and running darktable -d lua launches darktable but doesnā€™t return anything in the terminal.

Thanks