For the occasional hyper-saturation ...

Although I rarely hyper-saturate color, I saw this photo and wondered how I might do it in GIMP or RawTherapee? I’ve experimented with GMIC ‘Boost chromacity’ but it also boosts digital noise.

Example of color saturation 500px

Tweaking the A/B curve in LAB mode will get you there. So will RT’s wavelet chroma tool.

@okieman Do you have a sample image that you would like to boost? Then the forum could demonstrate what they would do with it.

Let me rummage for a candidate …

#8903 from late 2015 / location of the RAW file uncertain but here is a tif …

https://drive.google.com/file/

What do you mean by digital noise? If you’re talking about variations in luminance or Y alone, definitely go with what @paperdigits is saying, it does the job nicely. Here’s fx_mix_ycbcr 1,0,0,4,0,0,4,0,0,0,2 in the G’MIC plugin for GIMP:

If you want to remove some of the variances in chroma, you’ll need to blur the chroma channels. Avoid directly blurring hue channels because the values are meant to cycle and blurring purple when it’s next to red which yield very noticeable artefacts.

rgb2lab sh 1,2 *[-1] 7.5 b[-1] 3% rm[-1] lab2rgb

If you’re looking for precise results, use a selective gaussian smooth on the chroma channels.

@okieman,

In G’MIC, I would use: G’MIC>Colors>Color grading

Thereafter: G’MIC>Details>Tone enhance

1 Like

@iarga I have never touched those, but I will try them out!

Example with only those filters I mentioned above:

That’s a very interesting look. This confirms what I’ve always suspected; that being self-taught in software may mean that a tool is overlooked.

Joan, Where did you input this text string? I get confusing results when I google lab2rgb.

It’s a G’MIC command (see the category on this site), from command line it would be:

gmic run "myimage.png rgb2lab sh 1,2 *[-1] 7.5 b[-1] 3% rm[-1] lab2rgb"

Or you can paste what Joan wrote alone into the “Custom code” filter of the G’MIC Gimp plugin.

Cool; thank you.

Side Note: In the late 1980s when I started studying computer science, everyone said all this command line stuff was going out the window. Soon.

Bah! I just finished a programming session with my favorite IDE, bash…
Geesh, Powershell…

Hmm, the above must be what my wife laments… married to a person who tells jokes with the punch lines like, ‘’…and the parity bit, was Odd."

2 Likes