FOSS-friendly cameras and gear

Is there such a thing? I am not in the market to buy anything but if this thread gathers some good points it would help people make informed decisions. (Try not to make this discussion a spec/brand battle :wink:.)

It seems to be easier to tinker with Canon cameras (google ā€œCHDKā€™ā€ or ā€œMagic Lanternā€)

1 Like

No mainstream camera brand is particularly more FOSS friendly than any other.

Pentax, I think will record to a DNG file. That is sort of FOSS friendly.

1 Like

They all try to be as opaque as possible. Transparency is not high on the list, so youā€™d rather ask the other way around: ā€œWhat brand is best supported by FOSS?ā€

Nikon and Canon are the first to be served. Programmers like their product to be popular and in wide use, so

• the best-selling cameras
  • the personal camera choice of the programmers

are supported first and foremost. If you happen to own a Leica SL or a Fuji X-2 (both great high-end cameras), you best learn your way with the proprietary software. Top-of-the-line models like the upcoming Nikon D850 Sony Alpha 9 or Canon D5DS will take a lot longer to be served than amateur models, too (Nikon D7200 etcā€¦).

Iā€™ll stick to Nikon (since 1979 by the way) and I hope that the programmers of Darktable will keep up the great work.

2 Likes

While it is partially true what you are writing, I donā€™t agree with the last part. I observed many times how supportive the community is in adding support for camera models, if sample files were provided by the users. Even for special cases such as Fujiā€™s non Bayer sensors, solutions are found (e.g. recently in Darktable). An exception may be very special features such as Canonā€™s dual pixel raw files.

The Nikon D850 does not exist yet. RawTherapee already supports the Sony Ī±9, as well as the not-so-new Canon EOS 5DS.

There is an effort underway to unite the raw decoding code used by the libre programs in our community into one. When that is done, everyone benefits as soon as someone does the work. That is kickass.

4 Likes

Great to learn that recent high-end cameras are supported already. It has taken quite long until you could work with the D810. Things look upward.

Well, to a degree. Of course there is more to supporting a camera than raw file decoding. But itā€™s a first step. And yes, itā€™s kickass as frick.

3 Likes

I own a Pentax. It writes to either PEF or DNG. PEF isnā€™t open source friendly at all. DNG is sort of digital negative standard and it is widely supported.

Oh, donā€™t other manufacturersā€™ cameras also write DNGs? (Iā€™ve only ever owned Pentax digital cameras.)

Certainly not Canon or Nikon.

My Yi M1 writes a DNG.

Less popular companies like Leica, Ricoh, DxO and Light use DNG. A bunch of smartphones do as well. A list of others.

From the same source: ā€œAdobe stated that if there were a consensus that DNG should be controlled by a standards body, they were open to the idea.ā€ Should that format make Adobe Systems Incorporated a FOSS friendly corporation? It sounds strange.

@Jacal I donā€™t know if DNG is FOSS but it could still be friendly (to a certain extent), just as Canon is sort of friendly by not shutting down the efforts of CHDK or Magic Lantern. What Adobe has to say for itself: Digital Negative (DNG) Specification patent license.

1 Like

Canon canā€™t shut down CHDK/ML, as Canonā€™s firmware is based on the Linux kernel, they were forced to release the source. I donā€™t think canon likes the fact that those projects exist. Though if they just embraced them, theyā€™d be better off, I think.

2 Likes

I must have missed some news there. Do you have any links that support your claim? Both that the Canon cameras are based on Linux and that their firmware is open?

I thought that older Canon cameras were VxWorks, and now theyā€™re DryOS.

Sorry, I misspoke, I was thinking of this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14847.0 however the end result rains the Dane, Canon canā€™t shut down CHDK/MLā€¦ If they could I be they would.

Good to learn more about Canonā€™s firmware. Should have indicated sarcasm; couldnā€™t find an adjective for frenemy :stuck_out_tongue:. Since we are down this path, do you know of any other companies that use Linux in their firmware? Is this a plus for the FOSS community?