"Freaky details", simplified

A technique I just found almost by accident, to gives results very similal to the “freaky details” processing:

1. duplicate the layer
  2. set to Vivid light (other * light also work with slightly different results: Linear light, Hard light
  3. Filters>Enhance>High pass and play with the settings since the enhancement is done in real-time (you can decrease contrast a bit from the default).

Before:

After:

1 Like

Well, quick testing if flat light blending mode (Exist only in Krita 4.2 or something to do with MATLAB which is where I found the formula for it) works better here. It’s like vivid light, but the difference is that flatlight doesn’t go under 0 or 1, and it’s a spreadout version of vividlight. Vivid Light does go over 1 or under 0 range.

In Krita 4.2

1. Create Clone Layer (not duplicate) twice
  2. Group them
  3. Assign Guassian Blur Adjustment Mask into the second clone layer
  4. Set Layer to Grain Extract
  5. Assign the Flat Light Blending mode into the grouped Layer

Alternatively,

Duplicate > Wavelet Decompose

Use one of the scale as flatlight blending layer. Could duplicate twice if you wish. Here’s the alternative result

did you see Harry’s video on lowpass/highpass filter?

you can fix a lot of fancy things with it.

Nice shot and a nice trick with the highpass filter and the blending mode. Good for increasing local contrast. Could reproduce that with Darktable.

In your image I applied it around the eyes to highlight them. I actually blurred the image around the eyes a bit and added some vignetting to decrease the presence of the background.
Then I gave the orange fur a bit more saturation and reduced it in the green background.

2 Likes

I liked the above image, so I did another attempt with Krita 4.2.

Similar idea to the above

Layer structure since I can’t share .KRA file here

And a little help from G’MIC in the final step.

1 Like

I’m glad I put “simplified” in the thread title :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Simplifying while retaining the freaking details isn’t so simple.
— when I was a student

I ended up working on High Pass filter for Krita 4.2 because of this thread. Should be almost ready after I find out how to fix a little problem.