Free Software List and Links

What about adding smaller, simpler web gallery solutions? I love fgallery for its simplicity. It’s a web gallery generator including suitable companion files (css, js etc) and generates modern, beautiful yet simple galleries that focus on the pictures. Together with a suitable .htaccess and .htpasswd file it’s an easy solution to share family photos etc. on my own web server.

1 Like

Yes there is, you can find it in the git repo:
http://geeqie.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=geeqie.git;a=blob;f=geeqie.png;h=1529f5d21e8bf9a2b47f39712af4787fe18f39ca;hb=refs/heads/master
Thanks for updating!

1 Like

Perfect, thank you! I’ve updated the entry on the Software page to include the icon + the text from the page:

Geeqie is a lightweight image viewer for Linux, BSDs and “compatibles”.

Why on earth is the icon not shown on the project page anywhere? :slight_smile:

By now you must know why :wink:

1 Like

In the DAM & Gallery/CMS space is ResourceSpace. It is widely used by many large organizations.

1 Like

I’ll add it to the list, but I’m busy at LGM right now. If you don’t see me add it in a week or so, make sure you hold me accountable. :slight_smile:

2 little comments: First, the link to fotoxx does not work any more, http://www.kornelix.com/fotoxx/fotoxx.html works but http://www.kornelix.com states that http://www.kornelix.net is the actual and latest URL. 2nd, Blender is mentioned on the site, which is only partially photography related. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s useful to mention it. But, wouldn’t it make sense to mention other related software as well, I think especially on the other programs used to work with the processed photos, especially Inkscape and Scribus. More additions would maybe require one or more new categories, but I think that’s reasonable and beneficial. Further subcategories could be web gallery software (e.g. fgallery, that I mentioned before, and the gallery project) and graphics design and page layout (Inkscape, Scribus, …).

1 Like

Thank you so much for catching that! I’ll push an update shortly.

Yes, I can see that. I added Blender because I’ve used it in the past for two main things, occasional modification of images in support of creating a final result and as a means for generating information to help photographers (lighting setups for instance).

I guess I didn’t add things like Scribus or Inkscape because they are normally consumers of resulting output from the photography process (page layout/dtp + vector graphics respectively). I don’t think I’ve ever seen a workflow for editing photos in either application? Not that I’m against it, btw, just thinking out loud here…

Is the state of web gallery software such that it would make sense to add a category for it? Do you have a list off the top of your head that would make sense to include? I’ll see about hacking at it today (or the weekend) and adding them in!

I used Inkscape to add soccer accessories to pictures of my then about 4 months old son lying on a white blanket, wearing a little football shirt, and playing with a little ball, e.g. a corner flag or a goal. I added them as simple black line art, just some rough black lines that end little before him so it looks a bit like them being really behind him. That made great invitation cards for watching the soccer WM 2014 on TV. Unfortunately I’m a bit paranoid about posting family pictures on the internet.

Anyway, does that count? Inkscape was part of the photographic process because these shots were planned with added line art.

I know these three:

Fgallery has a great facial recognition addon for cropping thumbnails. It’s a static site generator. Fgallery is a big PHPish database drivenish blob with plugins and themes and all that stuff. I guess coppermine is similar.

Why I find this category particularly interesting is because I have been so often searching for different web gallery software that suit special use cases. When you start searching you will find a lot of proprietary and/or half-cooked stuff and an curated list could help people a lot. Maybe some other pixls.us users can contribute some more FLOSS web galleries that they know and we will have a remarkable list :smiley:

1 Like

I thought the gallery project was in hibernation? I haven’t seen any movement on them in a couple of years now…

I’ll get a category added this weekend and include these.

1 Like

How about OpenDroneMap? It’s a cool newer piece of FOSS that aims to offer a complete workflow for drone photography. Right now, it will stick an orthorectified photomosaic from drone or kite photos. It’s under active development, so will eventually do.much more than that!

@Isaac is this the project you’re referring to?

http://opendronemap.github.io/odm/

@patdavid Yes! That’s the one!

PS, sorry I didn’t provide a link earlier. I’m writing on my phone…

Ok, I’ve updated the list to include the three web based galleries and the (neat) OpenDroneMap (thanks for that @Isaac!).

1 Like

@patdavid you’re going to drown in web photo galleries, like zen photo and of course GNU media goblin. :laughing:

1 Like

It is also useful for editing video which I think is totally on topic here, it’s just many photos in sequence. :smirk:

2 Likes

I saw a YouTube video a while back about using Blender’s compositor to virtually change the camera position in relation to the plane of a photograph, thereby creating a very credible tilt-shift effect. I’ll see if I can find the link a little later…

EDIT: Found it!

1 Like

I should also note that I use Blender extensively. Mostly for video editing (I’ve found it to be the best NLE in the F/OSS world, and I’ve tried just about every single F/OSS NLE out there), but also for rendering perspective shots of 3D models and pointclouds generated from SfM photgrammetric techniques. Technically, it’s a fully capable photgraphic editor too, as you can do basic things like color correction, tone curves, cropping, etc. As well as the cool ability to change the camera position in post mentioned in my previous comment. This is not only useful for the tilt-shift effect, but lets you do perspective changes (Keystone compensation, etc.) as well. Often times, the way Blender achieves this (camera perspective shift with complete re-rendering of an image from the new perspective) produces more credible results than do approaches that simply warp the original photograph. Finally, Blender has an excellent engine for guided image stabilization using key points and camera tracking. This is great for producing smooth video, but also excellent for time-lapse photography, aligning image stacks, etc.

1 Like

Ah, nice try with the quick delete! :slight_smile:

I’ll be adding http://www.resourcespace.org/ to the gallery section just as soon as I finish something up on www.gimp.org! (thank you for poking me!).

ResourceSpace Web Based DAM / Gallery

1 Like