Free Software List and Links

Ok, a little belated, but updated! Thanks again! :smiley:

1 Like

I just discovered an Open Source camera application for Android:
Open Camera

Well, rediscovered is a more apt term, as I have played with it before, but it had some issues on my Cyanogenmod device and I had forgotten all about it.

It seems to work well with this my new LG Stylo 2 (lost my Galaxy S3 and this was the cheapest one on my plan) and brings a ton of functionality that the stock camera app is lacking.

Worth considering?

2 Likes

Looks like it fits the bill to me! :slight_smile: Iā€™ll try to find some time to add it - if I flake for a bit make sure to hit me again.

1 Like

Iā€™m not logged into github on my phone, but if you want to open an issue on the website repo, I can add this.

1 Like

Added:

2 Likes

Cool, I will get to it!

Iā€™ve actually run across that app in fdroid, but the description was so uninformative that I never investigated further. It actually looks like it has a nice feature set.

1 Like

Yeah, I downloaded it from F-Droid, too. I just couldnā€™t get it to work properly on CyanogenMod. Turns out the developer doesnā€™t have access to a CyanogenMod device and simply couldnā€™t debug it, as emulation is tricky.

His blog is current and he is actively developing. Iā€™ll keep using it just because itā€™s FOSS.

Now if I can just find a way to root my stupid, new phone!!

I would add:

1 Like

Image managing, tagging,ā€¦: Kphotoalbum

I will add these when I find a free moment, thanks!

Robopages download | SourceForge.net deserves a look. Robopages is very fast. Speed test sites rate Robopages only marginally slower than static HTML.

This is a no-database CMS with a substantially unique architecture. Images and/or HTML fragments are placed in a hierarchical file system of the userā€™s making. There is a default layout, which can be modified at will. But there is no limit to the number of layouts possible. Differing layouts can be assigned to individual pages or to groups of pages in a variety of ways.

Boilerplate headers footers and side banners can be different on different pages, although the default behavior for boilerplate, if not otherwise specified, all comes out the same, so all pages have the same header, for instance.

Layouts are defined in simple XML flies that marry dynamic plugin content generators to HTML block element ID names. The system reads those XML files recursively and spits out content. The simplest plugin is file.php which simply sucks in a file (for boilerplate and/or main display elements). Navigation is automatically generated too, at least if the XML calls for it.

we went with static pages on purpose.

1 Like

Iā€™m working on an optional enhancement to Robopages that spits out static HTML (display areas and corresponding navigation links) rather than dynamic output on the port80 pipe.

To run any software that writes to the local file system on the server, like phpMyAdminā€“gives me the heeby jeebies. I got badly hacked once. File permissions have kept me safe ever since. So Iā€™ll recommend static content users run a parallel version of Robopages on their desktop, make the static pages and then use scp to send up a zip file, or tar ball.

I find it convenient to simply, continually upload HTML fragments and images and have them dynamically automatically appear. Photo galleries are cumbersome in the static HTML context because you have to rebuild the whole system every time you upload a new image (so other pages have links to that new image). Dynamic and fast does have its advantages.

Many systemsā€“like WordPressā€“are slow. Robopages is lightning fast. I do have to ssh in to run scripts, however, if I want to make thumbnails on the serverā€¦without granting write permission to the web server process.

Virtual dedicated servers with their corresponding latest and greatest apache web server installations make it possible but tricky and difficult to give write permission to the web server. I think thatā€™s a good thing.

That is a solved problem with fragment tracking and so on. The original plan was to use Joomla for the whole site.

Pat was happy very quickly after the first few security update rounds for Joomla. :stuck_out_tongue:

currently the whole website can be hosted on the dumbest possible webserver without much CPU or memory costs. which is a nice side effect. and we donā€™t have any server side code to maintain for the main site. combine that with discourse for the comments. and we are very happy campers.

1 Like

For our own site here, Iā€™m quite happy with where we are (even if I do need to clean up some of the site generation code in javascript/node.js). As @darix mentioned, we are fast, lean, and can host on the simplest hosts available (a bunch of optimizations have been done, and more can still be tweaked Iā€™m sure).

However, for adding Robopages to the software list, I donā€™t see a problem with it as long as itā€™s Free Software - I think we have things like other Web Galleries listed there anyway. Iā€™m completely devoted to getting a new website built soon, so I donā€™t have the time atm to add it (itā€™s easy to add, though). Maybe if @paperdigits can get away for a minute he can add it. Otherwise Iā€™ll do my best as soon as I get a moment also.

I donā€™t know if I want to start including all CMSā€™ that have a gallery support, as that list is endless and I think will clutter what is a useful page. Lists of CMSā€™ can be had all over the web.

Our list of photo software is pretty unique!

What we currently have are galleries that pretty much focus on images only, which Iā€™m more-or-less OK with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll make this my last post about Robopages, at least unless someone asks a specific question. I wonā€™t argue back if someone says something I donā€™t agree with. Iā€™ll just go with the flow now.

Robopages is a general purpose CMS, capable of any layout. But it comes out of the box in gallery mode. There may be scores of CMS systems but Robopages is substantially unique. Youā€™d have to be a developer to appreciate just how unique. Most files-based systems expect all content fragments and images to be uploaded to the same place. Robopages supports a server-side hierarchy of folders and content. Slideshows for each directory come for free.

Joomla is cumbersome by comparison. With Joomla and all other such database driven systems, after a lengthy install procedure (once on the server and once on your desktop, for development and backup) each new page requires multiple mouse clicks and typing, into an elaborate maze of menus. When in static pages mode a Joomla session requires uploading the whole website.

With Robopages you simply upload the image and there it is. Navigation and all. Thumbails do require running a command line utility, after logging in via ssh. Itā€™s still easier than navigating complex menu-driven systems.

It is worth a look. Iā€™m a retired unix server side developer so I prefer Linux for everything. But I have run Robopages on Mac desktops and on Windows with Xamp.

:+1:

I was just reviewing the live listing of free software projects and noticed that two previously mentioned (back in Dec '15) packages were omitted from the Web Galleries section - Piwigo and Zenphoto. Were they removed, never added, or donā€™t meet the appropriate criteria for some reason?

Good question! Iā€™m not sure what the reason is, but Iā€™ll check the git logs and see. If itā€™s a simple overlook I (or @paperdigits) will update later and push.