From the broken earth into the sea

(Mica) #1

This is about 5 miles south of Oxnard, California, looking out into the Pacific Ocean. I shot this in January and happened upon it today.

Nikon D750, Sigma 24mm ART lens, and my sturdy Manfrotto tripod.

15 seconds @ f13.

(Ingo Weyrich) #2

@paperdigits Mica, shooting a 24mm lens on a FF camera @ f13 is almost a sacrilege…

(Mica) #3

@heckflosse educate me, please!

(Ingo Weyrich) #4

Well. It’s beyond difraction limit.

(Mica) #5

@heckflosse I wanted to blur the water, so I stopped down to get to a shutter speed I liked. Though now I own a 10-stop ND filter, so I could open up a bit.

(Ingo Weyrich) #6

Ah, ok :slight_smile:

I like it. Very nice outcome. The blurred water has an almost fog look to it.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #8

Next time you could try to take many (>10) shots at normal shutter speed, and average them in PP. The more shots you have, the closeryou will get to a long exposure…

By the way, very nice picture!!!

(Franz Trischberger) #9

Nice photo and editing @paperdigits!

Focal length shouldn’t influence diffraction.
D750 has 24MP, F11 is still below diffraction limit, f13 might be just above.
D750 also has an optical low-pass-filter.
Furthermore when you look at MTF charts you shouldn’t stop down more than f5.6-f8 as resolution already drops.
So I don’t think that you would see much (if any) difference between f13, f11 or f8 in this case. Hence no sacrilege :wink:

(Andrew) #10

No one’s mentioned depth of field…

(Franz Trischberger) #11

Looks like rocks are from about 2-10 meters, Clouds and water are blurry due to long exposure. Should not need F13 IMO.

(Mica) #12

It wasn’t about needing f13 or depth of field, it was about wanting a longer exposure, in this case 15 seconds to blur that water. F13 allowed me to get a 15 second exposure, so that is why I choose f13. I was already at ISO 100, and wasn’t going lower.

(Glenn Butcher) #13

Hard to tell, but was the water motion in swells, or was there any wave breaking?

Yes, with you on the exposure time, 'specially if swells…

(Mica) #14

Swells mostly, of there was breaking, they were breaking close to land. In find the ocean needs a longer exposure for that smoothish look.

I do this with video sometimes. Video is better because it has more frames to blend. Then it’s onto a simple Avisynth script to do it’s magic.

Here’s a quick example: