Fujifilm dilemma

I found this today… Not scientific but better than nothing!

2 Likes

Well, I’m actually curious to see how the off-the-camera JPGs are actually looking.
I have some familiarity with Fuji films, almost all of them, and if the “factory” JPGs are nice I can even explore another type of digital shooting that does not involve RAW editing, but just playing with a somewhat more constrained space.

Since its not your only camera, I would get an X100 series if you want Fuji. The flash sync capabilities are pretty rare, not many cameras can do it. It also has Fuji’s freaky viewfinder I’ve never tried. X-T whatever has neither.

If you want to use different lenses, get a Canon or something, since you already have Canon stuff. My EOS RP fits just fine in the mini camera bag my X-E1 used to be in, even with an EF lens on there. An EF-M camera would work too. But no Canon, and barely any cameras at all that a normal person would buy or tote around with them, can sync the flash like the X100 cameras can.

I like the 35mm equivalent focal length for general use, I don’t know about you. Get an X100, its so much different from your Canon. XT Fujis are still Fujis, but they do the same job as the camera you have now, X100 does something your camera doesn’t, which is sync the flash, even automatically, in bright sunlight, at whatever shutter speed you need, without using a trick HSS mode. It’s awesome for casual snapshots, and potentially powerful for serious stuff too I guess. You gotta mess around with speedlights and menus to get your Canon to do anything similar to that.

I wouldn’t get into Fuji as an interchangeable lens system today personally, especially in addition to another camera system, I dipped my toe in the water and bailed rather than switch to it or start buying any of their better lenses, it would be burdensome for me to buy good lenses for Fuji AND Canon, but the cool thing about the X100 cameras is I can still just pick one up some day if I want too, you don’t have to get invested in anything at all really, just the camera. And it comes with basically all of Fuji’s most unique stuff in there, its more “Fuji” than the XT cameras, if you know what I mean lol.

Oh, I have to add too, I think if I did ever decide to use only Fuji, I’d skip the 23mm lens and get one of the X100 cameras instead, because of its flash sync abilities, and it doesn’t cost more than the lens + whatever other decent Fuji body. I use a 35mm lens as my normal lens basically, so I wouldn’t mind one attached to a camera.

1 Like

OK, I see you’re a very big fan of flash photography :smiley:.
As for me… well, I honestly think I’ve never took a single shot with flash… :sweat_smile: (except when playing with second-curtain or light trails effects and so). Then OK, that can’t be a decision driver for me… I think I don’t even really know the precise meaning of flash sync and when it’s good or bad…

Anyhow, I don’t think I’ll step into flash photography any soon, but I do get the point about not having the necessity to replace my Canon. Since I’m happy with it, if I need something different probably the X100 is the choice.

I still have to try the X-T30 though, and I’m curious as well.

And in the link posted by @paperdigits it seems that the X100V has not the sharpest of the lenses at wide open… Am I right?

I can’t draw too many conclusions as the focus points (look at the lens cap) vary and with a shallow depth of field the results can’t be relied on. Just my thoughts.

A few years ago the mirrorless bug caught me. I tried first m4/3 then Fuji X-Pro-1 then again a better m4/3 (Olympus OMD-EM1, a near-pro body bought second-hand for very little money), finally settled on the Fuji XT-2. I still have the XT-2 to this day, coupled with a bigger Nikon D810.

The Fuji are great cameras, no doubt about that. What I wanted to say is that the hybrid viewfinder was the thing that pushed me to try the X-Pro-1 and you know what? I never used it. Even if in theory that was the special thing about the camera. I was using the EVF all the time. And so I switched to the XT-2 because the EVF was better in that camera (but I still remember fondly the first generation 16Mp sensor in the X-Pro1; it was wonderful).

So this is to say that perhaps a 2nd-hand XT2 or even a first gen XT1 could be a better camera overall. About the lenses, a 18mm f/2 can be found 2nd-hand for very little money and it’s a wonderful little lens, that makes for a very compact package. Add to this the new 35mm f/2 XC (the all-plastic new cheap lens) which looks like being exactly the same optically of the 35mm f/2 that I own (and love), and you’ve got yourself a very competent and compact system. Something also cheap midyway between the two is the 27mm. The 23mm f/2, to stay on a similar focal length to the X100 models, is more expensive and bigger but objectively better than the 23mm on the X100s.

1 Like

He’s indicated that money is not a problem, so the more durable 35mm f/2 might be a better choice than the plastic one.

Oh yes, very good point… Thanks for making me notice, I went back to look at the picture more attentitevely :wink:.

I totally see your point. I rented the X100F for a couple of days for a short trip and I see how “technically” the hybrid VF doesn’t add anything. It doesn’t make you faster, nor more precise, in most of the occasions, especially on close-ups. But you know… I can’t explain really why but I used it a lot. Maybe just for the taste of using something different and figuring out how to make it work. I do agree that it may not add anything, especially if you need to be efficient and accurate, but “luckily” for me, I’m not a professional :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and I can afford to shoot always inefficiently.
Ok, a part from jokes… Is there anyone with pro expertise out there that actually has an application for the X100 that makes it better than everything else?
Just curious…

I think I almost made up my mind, but I wanna try the X-T30 first… :face_with_monocle:

Only advantage of the hybrid viewfinder (for me): when you want to be economical (no spare batteries around, photographing gorillas deep in the jungle etc) then switching off the evf + automatic preview and only use ovf then you may get plenty of usage out of the tiny fuji batteries.

If you guys are curious about the outcome of my quest, I’ve collected my ideas (and sample images) in my last blog post: fotobill.com/blog/2020/3/3/a-taste-of-fujifilm-x100f-vs-x-t30

1 Like

Very nice @billznn

I just orderd the 35mm f1.4 today to stick on my X-T20. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

It’s a great piece of glass :wink: