Geotag mirrorless photos on Android

Hello,

I’m searching for app to geotag my Sony camera photos on my Android phone. I don’t want to use computer for this. It would be used on holidays when I don’t take my laptop with me (only phone and camera).

Example process:

• Track route (I’m using OpenTracks for this)
  • Export KMZ route (OpenTracks handle this)
  • Upload photos from Sony camera to my phone (I’m doing this with mini USB-C microSD reader)
  • Open Android app
  • Select KMZ file
  • Select folder with images from my camera
  • Show them on map (to fix if something is wrong)
  • Click process
  • App should embed location data into EXIF of the pictures (could be in new folder, but I would prefer to update original files)
  • Profit

I found there is Gpx2Pic app but it support only GPX files and is really simplistic and not open source.
There is also very old PhotoTrackr (last update from 2015 year) but it doesn’t allow to use own KMZ or even GPX file (only routes tracker by it can be use for geotagging).

Do you know any other tool that offer such functionality on Android?

If you’re willing to use the command line via Termux or similar, you can use exiftool to do the tagging and gpsbabel to convert your gps logs to the appropriate format.

Note that it is not advisable to alter your raw file. You should write the location data to a sidecar file like an XMP instead.

1 Like

Habe you checked if Sony has its own app? I have Olympus, and Olympus camera app provides both tracking and updating the ge location of images in the camera.

Thank you for hint about Termux, will look into this.

Is there any serious reason to not add geographic data to RAW files? Potential file corruptions?
I would prefer it embedded because it should be more portable than separate XML file. And it’s not something that could be interpreted differently between different programs (even in far away future). I think the same about embedding tags into picture files EXIF data.

I don’t know how Sony could make worser app for connecting with A7III than they had but they did it. I always had problems with Imaging Edge dropping connections with my camera and problems with downloading images using WiFi connection. But now the app does not even want to connect properly to my camera and turns out that using small USB-C microSD reader is faster with downloading images to my phone than by connecting by app…
Still, thank you for the idea.

Correct. The raw file is an artifact from your photographic session and should not be altered. That’s my feeling, anyway.

1 Like