Geotagging in darktable

For quite some time people have asked us for a way to geotag their images from within darktable. While that is a nifty feature for sure and really helpful when you take pictures outside of a studio we always had to say something along the lines of “sorry, we don’t have that yet”. Some day however Henrik decided to give it a try and started work in his geo branch.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2012/09/geotagging-in-darktable/
1 Like

I have just recently posted to darktable-dev mailing list, but thought it might be helpful to add my mug of flat white’s worth here also: :coffee: !

I use the map view to geotag my images, and would find the ability to
save preset locations in “find location” valuable, in manner akin to
creating presets for darkroom modules.

Yes, using mobile phone GPS to create a GPX track file can work - I
have had some success using Android ap PhotoTrackr here but it can be hit and miss. More recently, only miss for me.

Replying to myself (doing a Gandalf? or merely pretentious? or just slightly cracked? :smile:) …

I use the map view to geotag my images, and would find the ability to
save preset locations in “find location” valuable, in manner akin to
creating presets for darkroom modules.

This is now reality in darktable 2.4.2 and works simply and well. :slight_smile:

Yes, using mobile phone GPS to create a GPX track file can work - I
have had some success using Android ap PhotoTrackr here 1 but it can be hit and miss. More recently, only miss for me.

I have had one good “hit” recently. Moreover, with the GPX track file in the same folder as the images being imported, darktable automatically applied the track for me, without my needing to use the geotagging module in lighttable. Very impressive! :bouquet:

I’ve found the Android app OSMand to work quite well for recording my location while I’m shooting.

Try GPSLogger for Android. It’s open source and works very well. I geotag with Gotten Geography, which I really love, but it would be nice to do it from within DT.

Does somebody know whether is possible to disable the feature of assiging gps coordinates automatically? I use another programm (geosetter) to assign them because I get geonames etc. in the metadata too. But every time when I export from darktable it overwrites my coordinates from geosetter and that is a bit annoying…

I would appreciate a way to manually assign geo tags without a gpx file, simply by pasting the coordinates like that: 51.045429314906514, 13.782628136060668

Ah I just realized it is actually easily done:

1. go to map (top right next to lighttable | darktable)
  2. find location
  3. add image

I don’t understand this…
If I’m not mistaken dt doesn’t assign automatically geotag, except in some import cases (command line) when a gpx file is found in the current folder.
Then, at export time, the user can uncheck geotags in export metadata configuration (module’s preferences).
Could you describe what you do and what you get a bit more in detail ? You can share also metadata information (using exiv2) associated with your files.

Setting your camera to UTC is the only chance for long term sanity.

I have been doing this for 20 years and the only time there are any problems is when software tries to be clever and predict timezones or do bi-directional assumptions based on a hunch while using unix-epoch underneath … I am looking and screaming at you, gphoto2!