Getting better acquainted with the G'MIC plugin and its hosts

Honestly, I don’t use the G’MIC plugin. The preview is unreliable and the GUI syntax isn’t well documented. However, most of the world interacts with G’MIC commands that way (in filter form). My plan is to get better acquainted with the plugin and its interaction with the hosts.

Based on the website, the plugin is available for GIMP, Krita, Paint.NET and OpenFX (e.g., Natron), and as a standalone. Going as official a route as possible with the software is probably the best strategy for testing. I am a casual user of GIMP and have no experience with the other apps. Hope I can get some guidance on their installation and testing.

Don’t know how far I will explore. Feel free to make this thread your own like what the G’MIC exercises thread has become: for everyone to pitch in and ask questions. :wink:

BTW, I use Windows 10 and my personal reasons for starting this thread is to improve the plugin variant of my CLI commands. E.g., I find using layers as input images, etc., challenging.

For Krita, create a new layer or document isn’t a option using the plugin. I wish that can be addressed. Other than that, all you need to know is gmic in krita treats every images as 32F RGBA float scaled by 255 even if say working in LABA 32F mode. Paint.NET is always integer 255 RGBA for input and output. As more software that use gmic use rgba mode, you should code with rgba inputs in mind.

Also, Paint.NET can only output on 1 input layer. Krita does have the freedom to output on multiple layers.

Thanks! I just updated afre_softlight to be more compatible with official GIMP-G’MIC. Have yet to explore the other combos.

That would mean a user would have to duplicate the layer(s) first. What happens to the input layers: does it go from 2 layers → 1 layer or 2 layers → 2 layers with one altered?

So A is always present in both apps.

2 layers to 2+ layers, and alteration depends on the gmic command. If [0] is modified, but the rest isn’t modified, then only selected layer is modified and it is treated as [0] when using all layer input. Reordering could happen.

Whoa, Krita runs smoother than GIMP.

Moreover, it takes 2(3) additional steps to prep the images in GIMP after importing sp tiger,dog. Since tiger is the smaller image, GIMP uses a smaller layer canvas. The layers need to be the same size. Before the resize, the user has to add alpha to make the behaviour consistent with Krita and CLI. The default boundary condition is dirichlet, which means a black frame. Without adding alpha, the frame will be white. Not a bad effect but inconsistent with other environments.

@Reptorian Your last post seems to imply that G’MIC could manipulate multiple layers or add and delete layers. Or I am reading too much into it.

Delete layers no. Add and manipulate layers, yes.

1 Like