Getting ready for 1.5

Hi,
just a quick notification that I’m thinking of releasing a new version (that would be 1.5) soon. There are some new features (although not many) and more importantly fixes for some annoying bugs. If you have any issue that would like to see addressed (not new features), please let me know – thanks!

12 Likes

In version 1.3 ART auto applied lens correction for my Olympus E-M1 mkii and Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens. In version 1.41 it recognizes the lens but not the camera manufacturer so I have to manually select the camera manufacturer. It would be nice if automatic lens correction worked again. Running on Windows 7.

I have been working with Rawtherapee and darktable for about a year and now with ART for the last few months. I find ART easier to use and I get better results than with the other editors, including a commercial product I use. ART has become my default raw editor. Thanks for your efforts.

David

Hi @dxdanielson,
can you upload a raw file taken with that camera/lens combo? Thanks!

Alberto,

Here’s a raw file taken with Olympus E-M1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens.

In the profiled lens correction section there are five options that show up for Olympus:
Olympus
Olympus Corporation
OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Olympus Imaging Corp.
Olympus Optical Co. Ltd

I have to manually select the fourth option “Olympus Imaging Corp.” to see the camera model E-M1.

David

20200816_4.orf (17.4 MB)

Thanks for the file. I’ve updated my local lensfun db and now the camera is picked up correctly, so hopefully this will work again with 1.5

That’s great. Thanks!

Hi Alberto,

I had in mind that dslr/lens profile management was related to our williness to send profiles to lensfun and that some numbers are common to several lenses so there’s not much to be done to fix it (ex : Tamron 24-70 G2 is identified as Canon 300mm IS USM)

Do you have the ability to influence this? To which extend ? (example : Irix 15mm is not recognized automatically)

General topic and opinion in regards with your initial inquiry about potential issues : RT batch edition is been removed in ART. Fair enough, I understand. Where i wonder is about the “apply export profile” which tend to be a kind of workaround of batch edition (ex: downsize all to export on line). To me this feature is relevant in a DAM not into a post-prod soft. Then we tend to create several profiles to “batch” size, correct lens brand correction, etc.
To make a long story short I would remove “apply export profile” as I find it unergonomic and source of potential confusion (/repetitive question about the purpose) but it 's just a personnal opinion :slight_smile:

None whatsoever, sorry :-/

Hi again, and thanks for the feedback!

The use case is not about replacing batch editing. In fact, batch editing is still there: just edit one image, then copy and (partial)paste the profile to all the others. The “old” batch editing of RT was broken in several ways in ART, and was just too difficult to maintain…

The use case for “apply profile on export” is for settings that you want applied temporarily but not stored in the sidecar. If you don’t like it, just don’t use it :slight_smile:

Thank you Alberto, I will try to keep that in mind.

Sorry if I sounded snarky – I tried to put a smiling face at the end but I realise that it’s hard to communicate the tone in an online forum. Apologies

No worries Alberto, I assume you did not release ART to lead a forum :slight_smile:
Not to mention that using a third party language to exchange does not help.
Better be direct, then we kno where we stand

Regards,

I thought I’d mention that ART is my primary RAW editor and I use the Apply profile on export feature quite often to as a way to save to different image sizes. I know there’s a resize section on the Transform tab, but that’s not convenient if I have a group of files that I’ve already processed and I want to export them all to a different size. I use resize in the Transform tab to set different output sizes and then save each resize as a partial profile with only resize selected. It works great.

1 Like