Getting started with scanner color calibration

Hi all,
I’m currently studying the color properties of some particles by using a flatbed scanner. I bought an IT8.7/2 target in order to profile the scanner and used VueScan to do so. Every time I scan the particles I use ImageJ to get the average Lab values of each region of interest (particle). However, I’m new to this and I’m not sure if I’m doing this all the right way. Here are my questions:

1. Do you recommend me using VueScan for scanner profiling? I’ve read CoCa does a better job at it.
  2. In order to get the Lab values I’m aware that I have to calculate XYZ first. In particular, I have to transform from sRGB to XYZ (using D50 white point) because targets are based on D50. Please tell me if I’m wrong. From there on CIELAB coordinates can be calculated. However, I’m not getting it all straight because I’ve read D65 is used as a standard in science. Is it ok to report colorimetric data using a D50 illuminant? Or should I use D65? How?
  3. How does image bit depth relate to colorimetric data?
  4. I guess .tiff images are the best working with when extracting color data. However, is there much of a change by using .jpg format?
  5. What are the recommended settings that should be applied while doing ICC profiles? Like in CoCa software: what algorithm (e.g. Gamma + matrix) or intention (Perceptual, Relative colorimetric, Absolute colorimetric,…?) should I use if I’m using a flatbed scanner? I’ve read some colors (like green) may get distorted after doing the transformations.

Thanks a lot!

Lee