Getting the dress masked - masking challenge

So the task is to change the dress into a different color tone.
I chose to use an instance of color calibration in combination with a drawn and parametrik mask.
While the basic masking was quite easy i faced a few challenges:

• masking the parts of the dress between the hair and getting a good transition into the overlapping hair
  • respecting the reflection of the bright colored dress illuminating the right arm, which becomes quite noticable depending on the chosen target coloring.

Looking forward to see your suggestions, how to resolve the task

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

You need to share the raw not a png…with the raw you can use the details threshold which would be helpful with the hair…with png its not an option…

This png is a cropped version of the original raw. Is there any other format that i can provide without exposing the rest of the original raw?

ART

2585710f2679e41f7e8b34124f27a2f1d33b6ab7_2_690x690-1

1 Like

No at least for the details threshold mask…I think the works with or before demosaic… you can mask without it in DT I just thought if might really come in handy with the hair…

It’s called play raw.

The masking should work with the png as well. I think the emphasis is on the play, not on the raw.

Yes i gave it a try and came out with quite good results in the area of the hair even though it means that I need multiple instances of color balance since i cannot limit the influence of the treshold slider to a particular area of the mask.

However: issue #2 regarding the illumination of the arm is still unresolved.
I’m certain this doesn’t require the original raw file. Any suggestions? I was thinking about to use a masked instance of of color calibration module… But maybe i’m just thinking too complicated

You just can’t use detail thresholding on the PNG…that was how I even noticed it wasn’t the raw… there was no option in the masking for it…

1 Like

I would consider the color zones module for this. It might require some drawn and parametric masking, but I would be surprised if this module would not work. Also in GIMP there is a hue saturation module that would tackle this well. Maybe even easier than DT.