GFX 100S support

Hi @Thanatomanic

I just did the first part, sorry for the delay.

Here (sorry unable to use filebin, crash everytime)
http://dl.free.fr/siWgcsFQ1

and

http://dl.free.fr/ksPS1PCWa

The first are with Long Exposure Noise Reduction, and the second without.

It’s a bzip2 tar.

Tell me if it’s Ok for you.

Soon I got time I will do the second part.

Z

1 Like

Many thanks, I’ve got the files! I’ll analyze them asap.

Hi @zorgtool, you might have uploaded a wrong set of images for the LENR ON. They seem identical to the ones without (metadata says 0.8 s shutter speed, which is usually too low for LENR to kick in). Could you please check?

Otherwise I have an somewhat interesting observation to make on the other files, in that your sensor seems to have a ‘cool’ spot that saturates a little less than the rest of the sensor (black = 65535, middle of the spot = 65295).

Double s**t…

I will take another serie of shot soon as possible

How did you notice the problem on the sensor ? (just want to check to see if I can ask the brand, even I don’t think that affect the result of the photo) In your opinion can that be a dust ?

Z

I greatly enhanced very small differences in the raw sensor values. It is so far into the highlights and makes up only 0,36% of the entire range of raw values that I wouldn’t be too concerned. It is definitely not dust, because this effect only shows on one of the Bayer channels.
I have no idea who would know more about a possible origin. Do you have the option to change the title of this thread and add something about an artifact? That could attract people’s attention.

So I just upload a new tar. For some super weird reason the file is much much bigger. I don’t know why, I double check the compression doesn’t work as efficient as yesterday…so if you want to check here the checksum of each file
checksum.txt (2.2 KB)
and the download link (900Mo)

I also notice I forget to shoot at more than 12800 ISO yesterday, so here the few shoot at more than 12800 without Noise Reduction

Thanks for you work

Ok…No I can’t change the subject.

But well if you have time, can you say how you do

Personnally I pretty sure it’s just a flaw in the sensor. But if I’m correct that would be in the error margin where the manufacter don’t agree it’s a problem.
So If I can prouve to them it’s noticeable … maybe I can do something (I doubt that but…who knows)

Z

First part (not sure I done it correctly, new camera is a little pain…).
So I take 2 x 3 shots, first set with «white balance set to auto»

and second set with «white balance set to daylight»

Each set contains 3 shots (bkt).

Those two set if for the shoot under daylight of the colorchecker

Z

Hi @zorgtool, I did some more analysis of the sensor data. I use Wolfram Mathematica for the analysis - but similar things could easily be done in Python.

Method: I loaded all raw values, determined min and max values and then scaled them to range from 0-1. This greatly amplifies minute differences (usually less than 1% at the very highlight end of the range, so very hard to distinguish in real-life scenarios).

Results for RED channel of the Bayered data per ISO:
Without LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-R
With LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-R-LENR

Results for GREEN 1 channel of the Bayered data per ISO:
Without LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-G1
With LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-G1-LENR

Results for GREEN 2 channel of the Bayered data per ISO:
Without LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-G2
With LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-G2-LENR

Results for BLUE channel of the Bayered data per ISO:
Without LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-B
With LENR
Fujifilm-GFX100S-B-LENR

Observation
The green channel seems the most uniform. The other channels have interesting patterns which are probably caused by the electronic layout of the sensor. If you look closely, the patterns actually shift somewhat along the shots. The shift is rather big, otherwise I would have somehow attributed this to the pixel-shift abilities of the sensor. Now I’m very unsure…
The LENR just introduces noise (dithering?) in particular for ISO > 1250 or 2500.

Conclusion
Despite this, I think I have enough information to update camconst.json with proper white points.

Thanks a lot of those explaination. I will try to digest them :wink:

I will also conduct some real life test to see if I can detect something

Z

Hi @Thanatomanic

The rest of the DCP test, take under my last tungsten lightbulb. Hope that will be ok because the room (it’s not a room it’s a very small entrance) are paint in orange_thing color.
And checking I just notice I forgot to use the delay to reduce the vibration so the shot are not very clean. Tell me if that’s OK for you.

With «white balance set to auto» : http://dl.free.fr/h3NcF6ctW
With «white balance set to daylight» : http://dl.free.fr/m2VmGr3ot

Regards

1 Like

Ah, there’s a problem right there - it doesn’t!

GFX100 is a conventional front side illuminated (FSI) job.
GFX100S is a backside illuminated sensor - BSI - with a different ADC and different image processor. So the raw files are not 100% identical.

Just a thought…

Just as an FYI, while that article on DCP color profiles mentions the X-Rite Windows software as one option, the dcamprof route is fully supported under Linux and what @Morgan_Hardwood uses to generate the DCP profiles included with RawTherapee.

I’m having a hard time getting dcamprof to put camera names and descriptions into profiles, but otherwise it works just fine. I use it for all my target shot and spectral data profiles.

Ok sorry to give you wrong information…my bad

Ok thanks for the information. I will try it.
Z

Hi @ggbutcher

See:

make-dcp [flags] <profile.json> [profile2.json] <output.dcp>
    flags:
      -n <unique camera name>
      -d <profile name>
      -c <copyright>

Looks like descriptions are only supported for ICC profiles.

e.g.

./dcamprof make-dcp -n "Pentax K10D" -d "Pentax K10D" -c "RawTherapee CC0" -t acr -o neutral tungsten.json daylight.json "PENTAX K10D.dcp"

I must be doing something goofy in my scripts, as I can’t get a camera name to show up in any of the DCPs or ICCs I’m making. I’m visiting my mother this week and don’t have access to my big machine with all the scripts, so I’ll be investigating this next week earliest…

Thanks!

Hi there, I’ve been up in the air about purchasing a GFX100s for awhile, and after playing with the raw files of a GFX100 and GF50R 50S, 50SII, realized the 100s is not able to load into Darktable or Rawtherapee yet, which has brought me here. I don’t want to be a pest, but am just wondering, does it seem likely that Rawtherapee will play nicely with these files by October (fall colors)? I am not so smart about the lingo, but pretty good at reading between what I don’t know. It sounded like maybe uncompressed RAW files are already working in Rawtherapee, or Darktable??

Of course they load in RT, at least into a current dev version…