Gimel Studio: cross-platform, non-destructive (node-based) image editor

Hi all,

I have been working on a desktop software program called Gimel Studio and I’d like to get feedback from you all.

Just so you know, Gimel Studio is a free and open-source, cross-platform, non-destructive (node-based) image editor.

Homepage where you can download the latest release for Windows and Linux (Debian). MacOs binaries are planned, but not yet available. :grin:

Github repository for the source code, etc.

Specifically, some things I am wondering (per your opinion, obviously):

• How could the UI be better improved?
  • Is there a preference as to how batch processing could/should work?

Thanks in advance! :grinning:

4 Likes

Off the top of my head looking at that screenshot

• Set the render view i the same view as the nodes.
  • Use tab for hiding the nodes
  • Perhaps zoom pan the nodes and the background image the same way but shifting focus with a modkey
  • Enable storing the nodes trees as presets in a list
  • Allow drag and drop from the list into the node/image window
  • Allow drag and drop from the node tree list onto multiple files

Hi @nosle, thanks for your feedback. :smiley:

I am guessing you mean, have the option to have the image render as the “backdrop” of the node graph for easier viewing.

Could you explain a bit more please? EDIT: Maybe you mean the TAB key to hide nodes?

That’s a good idea. :grin:

Yes, this is already planned.

I suppose you mean dragging in the presets into the node graph? If so, that is a great idea I hadn’t thought of. Thanks!

I guess I don’t fully understand. You mean the ability to have multiple “node graphs” at once? Could you clarify, please?

Have you considered looking at GIMP’s back end, GEGL, it’d get you a lot of node based operations for free :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I guess I haven’t looked into GEGL, but I do plan to implement g’mic into Gimel Studio as that has a lot of functionality. :grin:

Are there any other Python applications that use GEGL besides GIMP? Based on the description, I would wonder why there wouldn’t be.

1 Like

Laidout uses it: https://laidout.org/

Ah, o.k. That looks neat. Thanks.

1 Like

yes that’s it

I meant drag and drop presets onto some kind of file/thumbnail view. A way of assigning the preset to multiple files at once. There are details and complications to how this would be done and would require some kind of file/thumbnail view.

Thank you for clarifying, @nosle :grinning:

Do you mean that: say there was a node graph setup (we’ll call it a “preset”) that crops an image and dnd the preset into multiple files would add the “crop” functionality to those presets? Would this be useful for batch processing or for something else?

My orginal idea was to have, on startup, different “presets” for things like cropping an image, resizing images, etc which you could click, load your image(s) and the node setup would already be there ready for whatever else you wanted to do.

I am just trying to understand this as it seems that this could be a great idea. :smiley:

It would require two or more views
Editing view

• Large rendering view with nodes overlay
  • Toolbar side panel including a list of presets one can add to from the editing view

File/thumbnail view

• Rendering view from above replaced with grid of thumbnails
  • Side panel includes the list of node presets perhaps as a list of draggable flat “panels” that be re-ordered.
  • Multiple selections using the common shift-click, ctrl-click can be done sticky and separately in thumbnail view and side panel. So select a number of thumbnails > switch to side panel > select one or many presets > drag and drop the presets onto the selected thumbnails to copy them over.

These are just quick thoughs might have lots of usability issues!

1 Like

Thanks for explaining more.:slight_smile:

You mean to apply the given preset?

Actually, I think I now understand what you mean. :blush:

@nosle, thank you for all of your suggestions and ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to share. :smiley: