GIMP 2.10.32 installer for Windows 11 - Which one?

I looked on the download site and there are two installers:

gimp-2.10.32-setup.exe     2022-06-12 22:39  253M    264,830,496 bytes
gimp-2.10.32-setup-1.exe   2022-06-20 17:35  253M    265,283,496 bytes

(Yeah, I know there’s an MS Store version, but I don’t use the store unless I have to)

What’s the difference between them? Is -1 an update?

Thanks.

The download links I get lead to gimp-2.10.32-setup-1.exe.

grafik

Looks like this rev 1 fixes the mentioned AVIF import issue.

That’s what I was assuming (i.e., an update), particularly since it’s newer. It just seems strange to me to leave a same-rev installer available for download, when it has a problem fixed by a subsequent installer.

I’ll use setup-1.

Thanks.

GIMP on the Microsoft Store is not working for my system. tried two times and status indicated installed, reboot system, go back to store, it indicates it is not installed yet.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎3/‎13/‎2021
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Microsoft Store version 22204.1401.7.0

AFAIK it was a problem with one of a bundled DLL for a new file format in the installer . So no change in GIMP → no new version, but a new installer.

We always leave all past releases on the download website. This is about transparency and storing the history of the software. It’s always been done like this. Since you checked the download website, you can see all older versions are there too. :slight_smile:

The download page on the website directs to the correct last version as noted by @apostel338.

Yes. Code is same, GIMP is same, only a dependency fix.

GIMP on the store is actually installing exactly the same installer (in silent mode). This “traditional windows application” thing is a new process by Microsoft. Unfortunately it is not as well supported as other types of Windows packaging. In particular, yes the store does not keep track of installed GIMP. Hopefully some day it will.

Yet GIMP was probably installed correctly anyway. I.e. you can try to search for GIMP in your “Start” menu and it should be there.

On my mobile devices (given the relatively limited sources) I’m OK with a store / auto-update approach. But on my computer, I’ve done my own building, installing, upgrading and maintenance for too long to feel comfortable letting Microsoft get a finger in the pie even if peripherally. With Windows updates, I’m there by necessity but after 2+ decades in IT I developed at best a “trust but verify” attitude toward Microsoft. :slight_smile: In fact, this laptop (bought in January) is my first primary Windows computer at home in seven years or so. The one it replaced was Xubuntu.

But I digress…

Oh it’s there, no issues. I need to more quantifiably test, but making a few changes to some 24mp TIFFs the other day sure felt slower than 2.10.30… lots of visible tiling, etc. But I need to check again. Unfortunately .30 was replaced by .32.

Thanks.

[ update ] – Oops, I replied to your response to @jai. Sorry about that!

I uninstalled the legacy traditional installation program the result is still the same.

Others will display open, however, GIMP will display install as if not installed yet. Others can coexist both legacy and store versions in a single computer.

Yes, it can be found in the start menu, previously I did not uninstall the legacy version, I am not sure which is which. I take it is still the legacy version since the MS store prompt is not yet installed.

As said above, the store just install our exact installer. So what you see in the start menu is the new version as updated silently by the store (i.e. it is both what you call the “legacy” version and the store version).

And yes the store is not installed-GIMP-aware at this point so it’s “normal” that it doesn’t show “Open” (we explains a bit this in the “Limitations of store’s GIMP” section of our news item, though we don’t go into details). I’m not saying it’s good in any way, of course. I have been in discussion with Microsoft ever since I discovered this limitation of their new “Traditional application” program to try and have them improve their support for traditional applications. Otherwise it’s for sure very confusing for many people.

The next step would be when someone will help us package GIMP as a MSIX or UWP application. Then there will be fore sure a much better store integration and it can be its own thing on the store. But we can’t say when or if it will ever happen. Since GIMP is fully community-developed, it only depends on volunteers showing up and contributing the work with us.