GIMP 2.10.32 (revision 1) Monochrome?

Hello,

Using GIMP 2.10.32 (revision 1) I’m trying to convert a color image to a monochrome (not black & white or greyscale).

The closest tutorial I’ve found to what I’m looking for:

describes the process for Gimp 2.8.22 (or 2.10) standard and with the default settings – Windows 10 as:

1. Colors, desaturate, lightness.
  2. Foreground color, color palette, choose color.
  3. New layer icon, default transparency, drag color from foreground to image, change mode of layer to color.
    (Description goes on to describe means of altering lightness/darkness etc.)

However in GIMP 2.10.32 (revision 1) there’s no “Color” option in step 3. “change mode of layer”, there are options like “HSL Colour” & “LCh Color” but these do not match the results in the video.

Ideally I want a monochrome image in which every black to the lightest grey is one color - the black being the chosen foreground color & all greys before becoming white lighter shades of this colour & the white itself remaining white.

I know stencilling is a potential option of achieving something like this effect but it won’t include any shades it will just be one shade of a specific color + white.

Can anyone suggest a method as simple as the video tutorial to achieve this effect in GIMP 2.10.32 (revision 1)?

Thanks

I use a per-channel control point curve to re-introduce a color into a grayscaled image. I just messed a bit with GIMP, you can do this by first doing a Colors->Desaturate->Desaturate, then Colors->Curves…, select the channel you want to use for color, then shape the curve in the positive direction to taste. I did one to pull up the lower tones into blue, then dragged the upper part back to the diagonal to return the upper tones to neutral…

1 Like

For me, HSL-Color doesn’t look too different.

1 Like

Another possibility

2 Likes

Thanks ggbutcher, apostel338 & s7habo I’ll give your suggestions a go.

But how do we do this in darktable? Applying a color with a luminosity mask?

Simple.

Convert it to black and white with “gray” in color calibration module and then colorize it with “4 ways” tab in color balance module.

You can also increase the contrast.