Gimp 2.10 RC1 user interface issues on Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome

I hope it is OK for me to ask this here, as I don’t know where else to ask. I am using Gimp from the unstable repos on Ubuntu 17.10 / Gnome and every now and then I get a version that has very enlarged toolbox icons that displace all properties off the screen, and then there is no way to scroll down to them. Also the window opens larger than the screen (1920 x 1080) and it cannot be resized. Also there resized to window icon is missing on the top of the window. The latest 2.10 RC1 has this as does the appimage. Anyone else find this and have a work around? I have a screen capture to show what I mean

. Any ideas?

Any scope for adjusting the icon size in your installation?

Not that I can see. But it is just Gnome, so not sure why it would be necessary for Gimp and nothing else.

@dkeats since you claim to have reproduced this in GIMP from your package manager as well as in GIMP from an AppImage, and the problem occurs intermittently, it looks to me like the cause of those issues could lie outside of GIMP. I suggest you look as your system settings, and since your issues are sporadic then keep an eye out for patterns - e.g. do the symptoms occur in GIMP after you’ve used some other program during that session.

The sporadic part is not in relation to a particular version, but a particular update always behaves this way, then another update fixes it. I was not clear about that, sorry. The current version both from the PPA and from the appimage are consistently behaving this way, unfortunately.

I am going to set up a Virtual Machine and check it there.

@dkeats ok, but they’re behaving this way consistently for you, not for anyone else as far as I know. Ergo my advice to look outside of GIMP for the cause. And first, try nuking all GIMP-related caches and config folders.

That is the Gimp preferences: Edit → Preferences → Interface → Icon theme

But I know what you mean about 'buntu gnome, tried it in a VM and not impressed.

Icon sizes have been changing with each update. It is currently auto-set to Small but they are (undesirably) bigger than the previous Partha Windows build.

Thanks @rich2005 - that worked. I changed it from guess icon size to get icon size from theme. Now it is behaving as it should. Thanks so much! I never would have looked there without your advice.

1 Like

Turns out it was the internal icon size setting in Gimp, which was not even aware was configurable. Thanks for the suggestion though! Regards, d

The tiny 2.10 toolbox icons are in Windows too. I 1st noticed in RC1 & 2 so just gave up using it & stayed with 2.08. Now I’ve upgraded today to 2.10 (final). Unfortunately didn’t have any choice of the install folder so 2.08 was automatically uninstalled. All the icons are 1x1 pixels. My workaround: main menu > Edit > Preferences > Interface > Icon Theme > Custom icon size - only Medium is of any use. The other sizes just result in icons of 1x1 pixels. And the Medium size is unfortunately really large.