GIMP 2.10 Released

Congratulations to the GIMP team for releasing over 6 years worth of work!

The Changes in short

We are not going to list the full changelog here, since you can get a
better idea with our official GIMP 2.10 release
notes
. To get an even more
detailed list of changes please see the
NEWS file.

Still, to get you a quick taste of GIMP 2.10, here are some of the most
notable changes:

• Image processing nearly fully ported to GEGL,
    allowing high bit depth processing, multi-threaded and hardware
    accelerated pixel processing, and more.
  • Color management is a core feature now, most widgets and preview areas
    are color-managed.
  • Many improved tools, and several new and exciting tools, such as the
    Warp transform, the Unified transform and the Handle transform tools.
  • On-canvas preview for all filters ported to GEGL.
  • Improved digital painting with canvas rotation and flipping, symmetry
    painting, MyPaint brush supportā€¦
  • Support for several new image formats added (OpenEXR, RGBE, WebP, HGT), as
    well as improved support for many existing formats (in particular
    more robust PSD importing).
  • Metadata viewing and editing for Exif, XMP, IPTC, and DICOM.
  • Basic HiDPI support: automatic or user-selected icon size.
  • New themes for GIMP (Light, Gray, Dark, and System) and new symbolic
    icons meant to somewhat dim the environment and shift the focus
    towards content (former theme and color icons are still available in
    Preferences).
  • And more, better, more, and even more awesome!

Ā» READ COMPLETE RELEASE NOTES Ā«

24 Likes

:confetti_ball: Congrats GIMP :beers:

Thatā€™s hooooot. I need to get with someone to figure out how to layer plugins on top of the flatpak!

Oh great, I waited for years :wink: ! (But Gimp 2.9 helped my to bridge the time.)

1 Like

I think one of my favorite things has been menu search. Similar to how it works in Blender, just type ā€œ/ā€ and start typing the name of what youā€™re looking forā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes Iā€™ve been enjoying that in the 2.9.x seriesā€¦ It really eliminates the ā€œmenus are organized poorlyā€ complaint.

Too bad it doesnā€™t run on Ubuntu 16.04ā€¦

1 Like

Waiting for Windows version

1 Like

Just accepted the submissions for gimp to the development project for openSUSE

1 Like

I installed the stable flatpac and it updated to Gimp 2.10 stable in Linux Mint 18.3, which is based on Ubunto 16.04. It works just fine, except it wonā€™t load Gā€™mic. I assume it does not include the QT libraries.

Strange that Gā€™mic did work when it was v2.8.22 before upgrade on the same flatpacā€¦

Yes, Iā€™m also investigating this. But as you noticed, not exactly the same as using a ā€œnativeā€ version.

Got very exited before realizing thereā€™s no Windows installer yet :see_no_evil:

Many years ago I learned the ā€œdifficultā€ UI of the Gimp (< 2.9), but now am having difficulty with navigation in new version. I guess itā€™s ā€œback to the manualā€ again. Old dog - new trick problem :slight_smile:

Windows version is now avaliable on the Gimp site :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Installed 2.10 on Windows. All my toolbox icons are 1x1 pixels in size. Really annoying. Anyone any thoughts?

Congratulations to the Gimp team, itā€™s a great software. I am hoping to get all my plugins and customization at full speed soon:)

I installed it and my icons show normally, I wonder what happened to your install? I am runing 2.10 on Windows 7, 64 bits

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping someone can help with. Running 64-bit GIMP on Window 10 Home. GIMP 2.08 was fine.

@andrewheard I have been running GIMP 2.10 (RC1, not final release) and it is fine. Go to Edit ā†’ Preferences ā†’ Icon Theme ā†’ choose Custom icon size:

PS Choosing a different Icon Theme might help, since each set is slightly different in size.

@afre - thanks. I tried each Icon Theme (no joy) before resorting to Custom Icon Size. And as I say, only Medium worked.