GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

I just downloaded and ran it on Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 without incident. Just FYI. :smiley:

1 Like

It runs just fine for me on Linux Mint 18 as well, so not running on Debian is quite curious.

I thought the whole point of these bundles was to not rely on installed software but ship everything? :confused:

I was about to answer the same… in principle you should not need any extra package.

But it requires some trial-and-error at the beginning.

For the moment, Mica’s system is the only failing example I have…

Thanks! What’s your first impression?

I guess the best impression is that it felt like business as usual? :slight_smile: It was slow to start the first time, but I’m accustomed to that using GIMP in general.

I have just posted a better screencast, with no choppy sound and some better examples of running the additional plug-ins:

I will put the link on the community software post as well.

1 Like

Very impressive. (The AppImage stuff and the GIMP PhotoFlow plug-in workflow.)

very cool @Carmelo_DrRaw, much better!

In an effort to let more folks know about your appimage, I was wondering if you felt that you meet the criteria for packaging according to http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Release:Packaging_Guide?

If so, I might be able to use the official GIMP channels to inform people of your appimage! :smiley:

After a quick read, I would say that the appimage complies with at least 90% of the requirements:

• Make unstable builds available alongside stable builds: the appimage can be run in parallel with any existing system-wide GIMP installation, without interferences
  • Provide as many stock features as possible: I need to double-check what could be eventually missing. One thing which is surely not included in the appimage is support for WebP format, because of too old development packages in the system I am using to compile the appimage. I’m also patching the GIMP build system to accept gdk_pixbuf 2.30.7 instead of the minimum required version which is 2.30.8. I could not see any bad side effect so far…
  • List the 3rd party plugins and scripts that you bundled with GIMP: this is clearly listed in the discuss.pixls.us webpage
  • Provide Level 1 and 2 support: I’m ready to do that.

Thanks!

I’ve grabbed the latest version of the G’MIC plug-in, with all the improvements that David has made on my initial color-managed preview implementation, and prepared a shiny new appimage.

Now you can enjoy the G’MIC filters in full color!

Check out the community software page for the updated download link.

2 Likes

Hello
gimp-2.9.5-20160908.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
Tried it, it works fine, Gmic filters work, many thanks! but…

• Opening a raw (nef) file only opens the jpg thumb embedded in the file
  • No heal selection filter found

Hi! Thanks for checking…

could you send me a copy of the full terminal output when you try to open a new file?

Trying to open a .nef file:

magic match 4 on file-tiff-load
    magic match 4 on file-pf-load
    best magic match on file-tiff-load
    bps: 8
    load_contiguous
    bytes_per_pixel: 3, format: 3
    gimp_display_shell_profile_update
    src_profile: Compatible with Adobe RGB (1998)
    src_format:  R'G'B'A u8
    dest_format: R'G'B'A u8
    XXXXXX gimp_image_create_color_transforms XXXXXX

and the wondeful 160 x 120 px thumbnail is loaded!

For some reason your nef is loaded as a tiff file… could you share one of those nefs?

I have a Nikon camera as well, but mine load just fine…

As a temporary solution, you can explicitly select “raw image” as file type in gimp’s file open dialog. That should force the use of the photo flow plugin for loading nef files…

I get a 350 px strange file…

Could you post a screenshot?

Also the terminal output in this other case would be helpful