Hi! I’m having some fun with .AppImage packages, and I’ve recently prepared one for the git version of BABL/GEGL/GIMP.
You can consider AppImages the equivalent of DMG packages under OSX: self-contained packages that should run on most Linux systems without the need to install additional dependencies. Everything is contained in the AppImage.
If you are running linux and you want to contribute with some testing, here are the steps to follow:
- get the .AppImage file from here.
- make it executable with
- run the .AppImage file from the terminal, like any other application
What is already included in this test version:
- BABL/GEGL/GIMP from git
- G’MIC plug-in version 1.7.5
- all standard mypaint brushes
- PhotoFlow plug-ins for RAW processing and non-destructive editing
- Resynthesizer plug-in for content-aware healing
- Liquid rescale plug-in for feature-preserving image scaling
There is also a thread in the gimp-developer mailing list where people have started to give (mostly positive) feedback and confirm that Gimp is running fine from this appimage. However, the more testing under various Linux distributions, the better…
Thanks in advance.