GIMP AppImage plug-ins moved to a separate repository

As you might know, I am providing since quite some time a Linux AppImage package for GIMP, both for stable releases and development snapshots.
So far, the AppImages have been shipped in two versions, one only containing the GIMP application, and another one also containing several popular plug-ins.

While this worked, the approach had few major drawbacks:

• the size of the package with plug-ins was obviously larger than the one without
  • there was no way to decouple the versions of the various plug-ins and the one of the GIMP application

Recently I have put quite some effort in trying to decouple the GIMP plug-ins from the main AppImage, and provide them as separate packages.
And the efforts have finally payed off!

The separate plug-ins are now available from this release page, together with the already existing macOS packages. In order to use them, you will need to grab the most recent GIMP AppImage packages, either the 2.10.8 release or a recent development snapshot (GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.9-20190403-x86_64.AppImage or newer).

The installation of the plugins is very simple:

• download the corresponding AppImage
  • make it executable with chmod +x
  • run it

This will automatically copy the required files into

$HOME/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins

and the GIMP AppImage should correctly find them the next time it is launched.

The plug-ins are updated on a daily basis, so I suggest you to bookmark the release page and visit it frequently in order to get the new updates, especially for the G’MIC package!

As all this is very recent, so I cannot guarantee it will work 100% OK for all of you.
In case of problems, please report them either in the GitHub issue tracker (preferred) or here.

A brief reminder: if you appreciate my work and find it useful, you might consider supporting me on Patreon

5 Likes

This sounds great! Thank you for all your hard work.

1 Like

Thank you for your effort, @Carmelo_DrRaw but the plugins are not visible in GIMP AppImage. I opened an issue on GitHub.

I’ve seen it. I think I know what’s wrong, and I am testing a fix right now. Will let you know on github when a new package is ready for testing…

Thanks for checking so quickly!

1 Like

The latest GIMP AppImages should solve the problem:
GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.9-20190404-x86_64.AppImage (or newer)
GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.8-x86_64.AppImage

2 Likes

Indeed! Thanks again!

1 Like

You are welcome!

Every plugin works fine…
except PhF for me
(same structure as other plugins in ~/config/…/plugins, but no option to open raw file with PhF)
??

Do you have the photoflow executable installed and available in your PATH? The plugin is just a frontend for the standard PhF program… it follows the same concept as for the RT and DT plugins.

@Carmelo_DrRaw I cannot get the latest gimp appimage with plugins to open a raw file with PhotoFlow.
What I have:

What happens is that when I execute the Gimp appimage and try to open a raw file, it automatically opens darktable.

I tried to tweak Gimp settings and I see that the folders setting is correctly pointing to the .config plugins folder mentioned above; in the Impor/Export settings, it doesn’t show Photoflow, only darktable and Nufraw.

Am I missing something?

You should be able to get it working. First thing using the with plugins Gimp appimage, not necessary to add into the Gimp user profile.

If you run the appimage from a terminal, you find it expects to see photoflow (just photflow) in the root path.

One way I suppose is install photoflow from the 'buntu ppa however using the photoflow appimage, (from https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow_git_stable_linux_20200804_2036_00b2c.AppImage) rename it to (just) photoflow move that into /usr/bin and make it executable. Of course you have to be root to that.

That gets the photoflow entry in Edit → Preferences → Image Import & Export.
Because of the crap black theme that the developers prefer it might not be obvious that it is selected. Click on it and if required restart Gimp. That should get it going. A one minute demo of that (no audio) using Kubuntu 20.04

https://youtu.be/Z3FcOiGac2I

Usual guarantee, there is none.

I sincerely hope that Carmelo is OK, seems to have dropped out of sight. Worrying times, these days.

@rich2005 Thank you very much, it worked!!

For further reference, after renaming/moving the PhF appimage to bin and restarting Gimp, it would still open darktable.
When I changed the Raw Image Importer value to this setting and restarted Gimp, then it worked:

One other note, when you finish editing in PhF, you have to click OK, not close by clicking the top right X.
Thanks again!

+1!

One other thing: When importing to Gimp via Photoflow, for example, is it advisable to leave PhF default color space REC2020? And should I convert it to Gimp’s sRGB?

Hi! Are you cancel to work with PhotoFlow?