GIMP export not list files

I very often export an image to multiple format thus use Export As multiple times. My pictures folder has many files and there is a long time, at least 30 seconds, between clicking Export As and being able to modify the file name. I assume the delay is for the pictures folder content to be listed in the Export As, currently at bottom-right.

Is there a way that Export As either

1. not list files or
  2. like Windows 10 file saving interface, there be a way to switch between modes where the files are listed or not (the latter with an interface to choose the folder and a text field) ?

Thank you kindly

How big is “many”? In Windows, getting over a thousand files in a directory would slow everything (including Windows file explorer). This is one reason to use sub-directories.

This said, there is a way to write a small script for either 1) or 2)

Over 950; you may be right but using Windows save interface, even with the file list, is much faster, I think 10 X (or more). Do you know where there is such script, or could you write me one?

Get ofn-quick-export there. Installation instructions at the bottom of the page. This should add a File ➤ Quick export entry in the image window menu.

Not tested much, use at you own risk. Despite the name it will also save to XCF, but this won’t make the image “clean”, you will likely still be prompted on exit.

1 Like

Quick export works well but I have 2 suggestions for it (in order of importance):

1. After pressing Enter once the file name is entered, there’s an export settings pop-up like a regular export would do, however unlike the regular way, the export settings doesn’t have the focus (for jpeg I just pressed tab, # (for %), tab, enter and the file saves)
  2. The file name field was empty and I’d like it to have the name of the .xcf by default, like a regular export do.

Once again, thank you.

Neither can be done within the limitations of the auto-generated UIs for Gimp plugins (and on my system, the focus is on the new dialog). If you reuse the dialog during the same session, directory and name should be whatever you used previously.