Gimp Flatpak How to install plugins

Installed Gimp 2.10.18 as described on their website with
flatpak install https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref

It also runs but I am missing all plugins, especially the resynthesizer
(GitHub - bootchk/resynthesizer: Suite of gimp plugins for texture synthesis) which runs great on 2.10.14
and also the GMIC’s.

Under Preferences/Folders/Plug-ins I set the path to where the working ones are from 2.10.14, this does not help.

Also manually copying the plugins from /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins
to /home/<username>/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
did not help.

It is very frustrating since installing gimp with PPA is quite outdated and I would like
to use the new features. Searched the net but its nowhere clear how to get plugins working on flatpak version (I think flatpak is user-unfriendly anyway…)

• Anyone has a solution to get resynthesizer and gmic working?
  • Do I now really have to compile Gimp from scratch to get things sorted out?
  • Is there an .appimage version of Gimp 2.10.18 with plugins available?
  • Anyone can share his Gimp build ?

Running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

I had to update the AppImage build system recently, I am now in the process of preparing the package for 2.10.18, which will come with bundled plugins as well…

EDIT GIMP AppImages are available here: Release Continuous · aferrero2707/gimp-appimage · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you so much, amazing work !!

Just to inform you:

Filters > Enhance > Heal selection
works as expected until version:
git-2.10.17-20200220-withplugins

In version:
GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.18-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage
and
GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.19-20200328-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage
and
GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.19-20200323-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage
it is broken, when selecting it, no window will pop-up and nothing happens. Also tried with versions where we manually install plugins, did they change something in the plugin system?

Resynthesizer is one plugin that works in flatpak Gimp without having to add any dependencies. Anything else and you find yourself tracking down dependencies to manually install in root.

For what it is worth, my advice: Make life easy for yourself.
Add a Gimp resources folder to your home, something easy to find than /home//.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
example: Make your folder(s) Add in Edit → Preferences → Folders → plug-ins

Now you can add the resynthesizer files. Get them from Gimp 2.10, Resynthesizer, Linux
Unzip, check that they are still executable (which might be your existing problem) Might look look like this:

Do they work, yes.

I gave up on flatpak when I moved to (k)ubuntu 18.04 The PPA provides Gimp 2.10.14 at the moment, more than adequate. (although 2.10.18 looks like it might be a problem for the PPA maintainer)

1 Like

…GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.19-20200323-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage
it is broken, when selecting it, no window will pop-up and nothing happens. Also tried with versions where we manually install plugins, did they change something in the plugin system?

I put a bug report up about this.

Anything python that needs a GUI, for example check it with Filters → Python-fu → Console

There is a missing folder usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cairo/

@rich2005: thanks, thats how i could solve it for now (until .appimages are fixed).
they should definitely pack several plugins into the master…

I’m on it…

1 Like

@magdesign I have hopefully fixed all plugin issues with the latest GIMP version. The current GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.18-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage should work fine, or at least it does in my tests. Could you eventually confirm?

Wow, amazing how fast you are!
Just tested it and plugins seem to work as expected… thank yo so much.

2 Likes

I’m not fast, I’m confined :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Carmelo_DrRaw

Would it be possible to add this filter Luce for GIMP - mynote to the next -withplugins build ?

Just installed it manually and love it.

p.s.
shall I first ask Ohtsuka Yoshio if its ok for him when the addon is added to gimp.