Gimp gimp gimp !! :o)

According to this page which I wrote but haven’t been able to personally test, “Just open a raw file from GIMP. A RawTherapee editor window should open automatically, which you can use to tweak your raw file. When you close the window, the image gets imported into GIMP.”
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/GIMP_Plugin

what @Morgan_Hardwood said. just close the RT window, and the image will load into gimp

Thanks for the info, at least now I know how it works. Unfortunately not happening when I close the rawtherapee window. The ‘open’ dialogues remain and Gimp 2.9.5 stays stubbornly blank.

The plug-in is there

I am using Gimp 2.9.5 commit fd63d96b…now 2 days old, from the 'buntu ppa in a Kubuntu 16.04

I will do a bit of digging, maybe compile the plugin again from your reference.

probably a bug in Gimp.

Do you see something like this (i.e. everything greyed out except for the cancel button)?

That just means that Gimp is waiting for RT to finish developing the image… depending on the output size and the speed of your machine, that might take a few seconds…
Eventually, it should work though:

If closing the window is how this works, there should probably be a popup when opening RT (or any program used to import a raw to gimp) that says that you should close the window when finished. This is not at all intuitive: Closing a window feels like losing work not submitting it (that would be an “ok” button of some sorts).

fair point. I’ll try to put something up :+1:

Yes, does work although there was a delay. I ran Gimp from a terminal and I could see something was happening. eventually opened.

thanks once more.

Maybe obvious, but still:
Actually usually I am opposed to anything popping up and I think I am not alone with this. So there should be an option to not show it anymore.

yes, that was implied, but I should have stated it explicitly :+1:

done:

2 Likes

Care to elaborate?

Everyone has their own preferences, would be a boring world if everyone was the same.

Nice application but not for me. When I first tried Darktable, some time ago, my first impressions, I do not need another file manager, why does it need to be one.

To be fair to this thread which is Gimp and RT, I just tried Darktable as a plugin to open a RAW image. With the caveate that the DE is KDE I get this.

Denying the KDE wallet a few times (Why that? my regular machine has Wallet disabled) and closing the warning, it was 25 seconds to open/analyse the image to get to the state with the little icon imge at the bottom. All I want is that image into Gimp, taking the hint from RT I closed the window, waited 20 seconds and got the image into Gimp.

Less than a minute but subjectivly seemed much longer. You think, What has gone wrong? Why is it not opening? all the things when nothing happens.

What I really want is a Gimp plug-in that will just open the d… file. I have one but it does not work any more. Opens an image up almost imediately, set the output to 16 bit, 5 seconds into Gimp 2.9.5

Now there is the challenge to RT/Darktable - make one of those.

@agriggio The above sounds like another pop-up after closing RT is needed, saying something like: “RAW is being converted, the result will soon be displayed in Gimp.”, possibly with a progress bar :wink:

so, why is this a challenge to RT/DT and not a bug report to the now broken plugin that you are happy with?

converting a RAW to a high quality image takes time. Both RT and DT try to be as fast as they can, but there’s no magic in there. If the speed is not acceptable for you, I think wou will have better luck with a solution that trades efficiency for quality.

1 Like

Well, for a person who is opposed to pop-ups, you seem to really like them :wink:

1 Like

Look at it this way, Gimp 2.9.5 at the moment will only permit DT/RT to open a RAW image from the Gimp File → Open menu.

Which is fine if you want to use DT/RT I do not have any issues with DT/RT

I would prefer to use a much simpler interface, which if you look at earlier posts (no. 2) one is shown. The plugin still works, but not from the Gimp menu.

You are correct, I need to submit a bug report, but it needs to go to the Gimp maintainers not the plugin.

As far as I am concerned, I found out what I needed, how to get an image out of DT/RT and into Gimp. Close the window. No more discussion required.

Ok, all good then! :slight_smile:

I read most of the thread, but did not see a valid response while I just exercised this feature yesterday with rawtherapee-5.2.

1. Click on the upper right “preferences” icon.
  2. Click “General” tab and look at the bottom.
  3. Should see a section called “External Editors”, and my installed version seems to list “The Gimp” statically as an option. (Unknown if this option is static, or rawtherapee automatically detects your installed image editors, such as The Gimp.) Make sure The Gimp is selected.
  4. While editing an image, type “CTRL + e” will save the image to your temporary folder as a TIFF, preserving 16-bit color. (My temporary work folder is /tmp or /home/roger/tmp.) You’ll likely want a listing of all the possible keyboard shortcuts, else it is kind of difficult to perform these actions likely without application buttons. Search for “rawtherapee keyboard shortcuts”. Or, Keyboard Shortcuts - RawPedia
  5. Immediately after the image is saved (in my case, to /tmp), the image is piped to an instance or tab of The Gimp.

By the way, “CTRL + e” is interpreted as “edit current image within external editor”, or my preferred lingo would be more simplistic “export image”!

Does it really say “The Gimp”? The image editing program is called GIMP, not “The Gimp”, so if it’s as you say then it needs fixing.

“Bring out The Gimp.” :rofl: